Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike Fitting
CREATED: 03/10/13 by jakobwjohnsen REPLIES: 9
jakobwjohnsen's ravatar jakobwjohnsen    JOINED: 3/10/13    POSTS: 12
Bike Fitting
POSTED: 3/10/13 10:11 PM

Hey guys, so I just got a 2013 Specialized S Works Shiv, and it should arrive in the next week or so. I am looking to get a good bike fitting, but just got to DC and have no idea where to go. Also, I don't have a car, so would likely be riding to/from the fitting.

Any recommendations you all have is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Jake

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 242
RE: Bike Fitting
POSTED: 3/11/13 7:24 AM

There's a lot of recommendations on bike fits in the area. Just search the forum for bike fit. I'd recommend Stu from Parvilla Cycles out in Edgewater MD. He only does 1 fit per day and it typically takes 4 hours so it's quite comprehensive. It's the Retul fit.

Freshbikes is the local Specialized dealer and also a club partner. Clovis does the fits there, and he's very sharp as well. He fit my first road bike a couple years ago and I put a lot of miles on that bike and never had any problems. He's over in Ballston and very metro accessible.

Here's a good thread.
https://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=B1849BED-D84B-AA78-A00D66477DDCBDED

dhops's ravatar dhops    JOINED: 7/12/12    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 3/11/13 9:17 AM

Go see Smiley for the best bike fit ever. He just got me all set up on my new P3 and he's amazing! AMAZING!!!

His email is magoo252 at comcast dot net. Tell him Deb sent you. :)

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
POSTED: 3/11/13 9:54 AM

From the threads - no one can touch Smiley!

marathonpat's ravatar marathonpat    JOINED: 2/16/13    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 3/12/13 11:35 AM

I agree w/ Deb and Maureen. Go see Smiley. He does great work. I'm not trying to steal Deb's thunder, but you could tell him Patrick also sent you

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 330
POSTED: 3/12/13 11:53 AM

Smiley is great!! I was working hard to hold low 22-mph before seeing him, and he got me up to upper 23-mph at the same level of effort. He also explains why he's making all of the changes. Smiley does the fittings at his house in Kensington, MD and he charges $275, but it's worth the drive and the price. Email him at magoo252@comcast.net. And tell him Deb, Maureen, Patrick, and Luke sent you!

simba2109's ravatar simba2109    JOINED: 6/23/11    POSTS: 53
POSTED: 3/12/13 12:51 PM

I have to plug for Stu at Parvilla. The Retul fit is amazing--more info here: https://www.retul.com/what-is-retul/key-concepts-of-retul/

He spent hours with me on my first fit and then has done subsequent fittings after I got out on my bike to test things out. I have a chronic injury and he took the time to make sure my bike fit was not aggravating my injury. As I make (slow) progress with my injury, he'll have me come back to retest and redo my bike fit accordingly.

Yes, I've heard good things about Smiley but never tried him out because of a specific bad experience I heard about. Honestly, it was because I heard of an instance where someone with a similar injury to me was further injured due to a poor fit, which was something I wasn't willing to risk. But if you search on the forum there are probably 99% of people who have had an excellent experience with Smiley.

I've had road bikes fit at FreshBikes as well. Everyone has a different personal experience to share, so hopefully you can shop around and find the best bike fitter for your needs and circumstances.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 3/12/13 2:34 PM

I have to speak up for Clovis at Freshbikes. He fit me on my tri bike, re-fit me when I had IT band issues, and just refit me again, and it's already soooo much better.

He also fit me on my 2010 CAAD10 on which I have never had any problems (only FUN!), and he's going to fit me on my new 2012 CAAD10 next week.

DC Tri has a decent discount at Freshbikes right now, too.

--Abby

jakobwjohnsen's ravatar jakobwjohnsen    JOINED: 3/10/13    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 3/12/13 5:05 PM

Deb, Maureen, Patrick, and Luke, since Smiley is so great, wanna give me a ride down there this weekend so I can have my bike fitted? haha jk, but thanks for the advice.

As far as places I can ride my bike to, what is best? Im debating between Cyclelife, Fresh Bikes, or another in-town bike shop, just to make it easier....

any tips for a good fit IN DC?

thanks

dhops's ravatar dhops    JOINED: 7/12/12    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 3/12/13 5:07 PM

I rode my bike up to Smiley's place - he's literally just off Beach Drive. It was only about 13 miles from Dupont Circle. And it's downhill on the way home!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria