DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Ironman Seminar Handout
CREATED: 08/13/10 by nomisdc REPLIES: 22
hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 192
RE: Ironman Seminar Handout
POSTED: 8/17/10 3:46 PM

Tuan- in response to:
"For example, if you are a recent college graduate with tons of loans, credit card bills, and a job that does not pay much, an IM might not be the best thing for you to do at this point in your life. The stuff is freaken expensive."

hmm...some of us are determined to find a way?

and in response to:
"I think that the overwhelming majority of people who goes to seminars like this have already made up their minds."

Yep, that's me too... :)

I really enjoyed this event and the handout. Logistical issues aside (Simon and the "real time reaction crew" - thanks for pulling it together, despite the Dubliner's poor policies/planning/whatever), I found it very informative and I really liked the diversity of the panel. I can't imagine what other stereotype was really missing from the panel. (I'm sure the panelists will love my stereotyping them) We had the pro, the long time vets, the wives with really supportive husbands, someone with kids, the single dude, the guy running the company working 60-70 hours a week, people who just got into IM recently, and variety in what races they have done and what backgrounds they have come from. Wide range in age and both males and females. It sounds to me that the resounding reality re. mom with young kids and full time job is they aren't doing ironmans (or if they are, they don't sleep anyway and can't possibly fit in 1 hour to come to our seminar or anything related to the club, probably don't even read the newsletter to know that the event was happening because there's no time for that either)-- if someone out there fits this stereotype , do us a favor and find time to come to the next one of these because I think that most of us don't believe in your existence.

I came to the event intent on going IM in 2011 anyway, and I basically just wanted a cheerleader happy- yay-IM sort of thing and that's what I got out of it. I really liked hearing about everyone's different experiences and lessons in their training, and it helped me to re-focus myself on why I want to do this and ultimately pick which IM I want to do.

Thanks! Well done.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1269
POSTED: 8/17/10 4:00 PM

Hillary,

I would bet that when you finish your first IM that you will not have enough money left for an IM tattoo. I'd like to see you make me eat my words but you probably won't ;)

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 8/17/10 7:44 PM

Heck yeah it is expensive. Before I stepped on the plane to fly to CDA I was already talking about $2,100 and that's only the big expenses. On a teacher's salary and being furloughed four days this year, it looks like it'll be a few years before I do another one. BTW, the IM temporary tattoos only cost a dollar.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria