DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Surgery: Losing one week of training
CREATED: 05/23/09 by giovobo REPLIES: 5
giovobo    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 20
Surgery: Losing one week of training
POSTED: 5/23/09 11:51 AM

Hello!

So, I'm having a surgery on Monday and won't be able to do ANYTHING for a week. I know I'll be losing a lot of my endurance but does anyone has suggestions on what to do after that week in terms of workouts to recover some of the lost endurance and still be on shape for the triathlon?

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 98
RE: Surgery: Losing one week of training
POSTED: 5/23/09 1:02 PM

Giovobo,

It depends on what kind of surgery you are having. Most importantly, don't do anything that would jeopardize your recovery from the surgery - do what the doctor recommends because the last thing you would want is to have post-op complications which could set you (and your training) back even more than a week.

In the long run, a week is not a big deal. Get your recovery taken care of and when cleared by your physician you can catch up.

I hope it goes well!

Mimi

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 5/23/09 3:11 PM

I concur...don't rush it...I had an appendectomy in February...I was surprised how long before I felt 100%...about 6 weeks. It takes about 3 days just to feel normal again if you're under anesthesia. Even if it's arthroscope, don't let that fool you.

Follow the recommendations of your doctor...I tried to get on an elliptical 5 days after my surgery, contrary to the advice of my surgeon, and understood quickly why anything abdominal takes a toll.

Also, keep in mind, doctor's advice after surgery is geared to a population that doesn't exercise 10 hours or more a week...tell him about your exercise regime, if he doesn't already know, and ask when it would be safe to exercise at THAT level.

Best of luck,

Paula

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 5/23/09 5:24 PM

Agree with the recommendations above to really listen to your body and your doctor about when it's safe to return.

But if in the end it's just a week that you'll be out, you will NOT be losing a lot of endurance. Use the week to relax and let your body absorb all of the training that you have been doing. You're probably going to start back up feeling quite fresh, relaxed, and speedy! The week off could actually work to your advantage instead of being a hindrance to your training.

A good rule of thumb after a week off is to return to regular training at 50% for the first week back (so a 60-minute run becomes more like 30 minutes) and then get right back into the regular regimen on the second week back. This is all within reason, so listen to your body - if you feel awesome, go longer; if you don't feel 100% don't try to train at 100%.

Remember, triathlon training happens in the midst of real life. If it isn't surgery, it's a vacation to the beach or a bad cold or a work conference that keeps you away from training for days on end. It happens all the time to all of us and it's no biggie - really.

giovobo    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 5/23/09 6:03 PM

Guys, thanks for the thumbs up! I was really concerned about this but I guess I'll just take it easy now. It's true, it's only a week and I'll start slow after that and try to recover fully.
I honestly thought my endurance would be lost after that =)

Thanks again for this comments!

Gio

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 5/23/09 6:03 PM

don't worry losing 1 or even 4 weeks of training if you have a solid base and have been consistent will not hurt your endurance that much.

i think the general rule of thumb is each week off = 10% of endurance off or something like that. but its not exact.

meaning even if you take off something like 4-6 weeks you dont' lose 60% of your endurance more like soemthing like 40%.

but don't quote me on that. basically take away this, 1 or even 4 weeks off in the grand scheme of your triathlon career is not a big deal you can get back into shape within a few weeks after your time off.

let your body heal as your doctor says, and take it easy, surgery no matter how minor is still SURGERY and recovery should be taken seriously.

good luck and stay safe.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria