Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

goto hains point pool
CREATED: 05/23/09 by vatriathlete REPLIES: 13
vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
goto hains point pool
POSTED: 5/23/09 6:06 PM

the water temp today was perfect, wasn't cold at all.

talk about great outdoor pool weather today, this was better than socal outdoor pools today.

enjoy folks.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
RE: goto hains point pool
POSTED: 5/23/09 6:42 PM

Yes, for those of you who don't know about one of DC's best-kept secrets, there is indeed a 50-meter pool and locker/showers right behind the golf course of Hains Pt. Admission price is reasonable.

"East Potomac Park Swimming Pool
(202) 727-6523
Hours: Open June – August, Monday – Friday: 1 p.m. – 8 p.m., Saturday – Sunday: Noon – 6 p.m. Closed Wednesdays."

amyroseamyrose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 5/24/09 1:03 PM

The pool has a new heater:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/23/AR2009052301827.html

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 5/25/09 5:37 PM

from - MSNBC

Fenty's Favorite Pool Gets $75K Heater

WASHINGTON -- One of the city's 19 outdoor pools now is heated after a $75,000 upgrade, the Washington Post reported.

The East Potomac Pool upgrade stirred up rumors that it was done for D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, who sometimes used the pool at Hains Point to train for triathlons.

Fenty said he was unaware of the new heater and denies that the installation was done to serve his training schedule.

The Post reported that the heater is part of a plan to extend the outdoor swimming season at East Potomac, Banneker and Anacostia pools, Department of Parks and Recreation John Stokes said.

Councilman Harry Thomas Jr., who chairs the Committee on Libraries, Parks and Recreation but didn't know about the heater, either, called it an unnecessary luxury in tight budget times, the Post reported.

PS when the headline read "favorite pool" I hoped it was Eastern Market

POSTED: 5/25/09 5:43 PM

seems like harry thomas doesn't want an outdoor pool much.

that pool can now feasibly stay open till probably the end of november and open as early as april with the heater in it if the pool can be heated and covered at night and kept at 72 degrees or so. that would be sweet.

POSTED: 5/25/09 7:48 PM

That would be terrific. Such a downer when the pool closes around Labor Day, forcing a gloomy indoor return when the weather's still grand.

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 5/25/09 8:56 PM

What would really help would be a change in hours. I sometimes work past 7pm and can not make to haines point If it could be open in the AM as other DC pools then we have something.

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 6/04/09 10:47 AM

Looks like Hains Point will be open daily beginning June 15th! It is closed Wednesday nights again this year.
Wonder how many times Moser will try to swim Wednesday nights this year. I think it took him until the week before Labor day to figure out it was closed on Wednesdays last year.

POSTED: 6/04/09 11:07 AM

Thankfully the Conte's hill ride is Tuesday, so I won't be going to the pool by mistake this year. (Actually, maybe I could sneak a swim in there before the ride...) :)

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 6/15/09 10:59 PM

Just edited my previous post. HP pool is closed on Wednesdays again this year, not Tuesday. So we can get a swim in before the Conte's ride.

POSTED: 6/25/09 7:44 PM

damn today at hains point at 6pm it was a zoo there, how many of you dctri people were there today? had to be at least 10 or so.

anyone that wants to train for open water swimming goto hains point with 7-9 people in a lane its all the incidental contact that you can use for training purposes of an open water swim. LOL

edgarnett    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 7/07/09 2:32 PM

Saw a group of what looked like men's masters swimmers warming up at 7 last night as the pool was closing down for us regular folks - anyone have any details on how I might get involved in that? I've been getting to the pol at like 6:30 every night so that timing would be perfect for me.

ctglynn    JOINED: 6/29/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 7/07/09 2:43 PM

www.pvmasters.org and click onto Potomac Valley Clubs. It shows the local masters clubs, practice times and contact information. Looks like it is the DC Masters or the DC parks & Rec during the Tuesday timeframe.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 7/07/09 3:37 PM

I had 9 people in a lane at Chinq one Sunday night, only 3 of us could actually swim, and that is a 25m pool. Nice.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria