Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

All I want for Christmas is RSS
CREATED: 12/08/09 by jane456 REPLIES: 17
jane456's ravatar jane456    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 69
All I want for Christmas is RSS
POSTED: 12/08/09 2:00 PM

The new website looks awesome, but the new forum is less functional than the old forum because there is no RSS feed. There was talk in the past of doing this, but its been 9 months and there's still no feed.

Are these plans still in the works? If not, I think its something the club/board should consider.

Thanks.

Lindsey

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 222
RE: All I want for Christmas is RSS
POSTED: 12/08/09 10:51 PM

I would love love love to have an RSS feed. I come to the forum pretty much every day, checking to see what people are talking about!

Kevin

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 12/09/09 9:40 AM

what is an rss feed?

dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 12/09/09 12:12 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=RSS+Feed ;)

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 12/09/09 12:22 PM

Now that is LOL! Thanks, Tex!

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 12/09/09 3:11 PM

I would love to have a RSS feed for Christmas too! Its the only thing I wanted all year :)

POSTED: 12/09/09 8:15 PM

An RSS feed is an "interface" for receiving updates from a source such as a blog, a news website, or a message board.

An RSS feed that comes from a blog is the easiest example to understand. You "subscribe" to a blog's feed using some sort of RSS software, and by doing so, you are telling the RSS software to check the blog periodically for new blog posts, and to download them for you as new ones come out. By using RSS software and subscribing to feeds, you no longer have to visit a website to check for new updates -- they will automatically appear in what you might call your "RSS inbox" as they are published.

A similar example for news websites: you can subscribe to the NY Times "health" RSS feed, and every time they publish a new health-related article online (and tag it as being health-related), it will show up in your RSS inbox. Again, no need to go to the website and try to figure out what health-related articles have been published since you last visited.

In the case of the DC Tri message board, an RSS feed would be useful for me because then I wouldn't have to come to the site to see all the recent posts. And if I didn't have time to check the site for a week, all the posts I missed would be waiting for me in my RSS inbox. Without an RSS feed, the only way to check what has been posted in the past week would be to click through every category, trying to remember what was the last post you read.

Google Reader is a popular RSS reader that you access through your web browser. There are also RSS readers that you download and access locally (from your own computer).

Kevin

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 12/09/09 10:15 PM

Wow Neal -- Thanks!

I can't wait for my first opportunity to use that!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 12/10/09 7:19 AM

If you've ever subscribed to a podcast on ITunes, what you are doing is subscribing to an RSS feed.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 4/07/10 9:43 AM

Thanks to the efforts of this Board and Boards Past, particularly Patrick's coordination efforts and Julie's leadership - and complimenting our web designer's ability - we now have RSS feed.
http://www.dctriclub.org/util/rssfeed.cfm

Merry Christmas

POSTED: 4/07/10 10:07 AM

!!!!!
A big thank you to the members of the Board for making this happen!! This is great!

Lindsey

ellenwex's ravatar ellenwex    JOINED: 11/16/09    POSTS: 66
POSTED: 4/07/10 1:54 PM

Cool... now I will be even more efficient in my work-hour message board reading :) Thanks!

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 518
POSTED: 4/07/10 5:57 PM

If you use Firefox, you can add the RSS feed to your Bookmarks. Once you subscribe to the feed, you'll see a folder icon in your Bookmarks list. Hover the cursor over the icon to see a list of all recent posts.

You don't need to install an add-on to use this feature in Firefox. It's already built in.

POSTED: 4/07/10 9:26 PM

Yay! This is fantastic. Thanks so much!

Kevin

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
POSTED: 4/14/10 10:45 AM

I'm having trouble using the RSS feed. I signed up last week but it won't refresh. I can't see any posts after April 7.

POSTED: 4/14/10 11:30 AM

I'll second that. I tried re-adding the RSS feed to Google Reader and now some, but still not all, posts are showing up.
Thanks.

Lindsey

pserfass's ravatar pserfass    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 432
POSTED: 4/14/10 3:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Although, I saw these posts when they showed up in my RSS feed (it's working for me...), I'll check with our capable web magicians to take another look at these issues.

Patrick

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 4/14/10 3:31 PM

I was having the same problem as well (not getting any posts to show up in Google Reader). I went back in and resigned up for the subscription and it now works. I don't know if this is the magic answer but it did finally work for me. And I have to say it is fantastic!! Thank you for taking on this initiative, board! Merry Christmas!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria