Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike Trainer Advice
CREATED: 11/04/11 by kweningj REPLIES: 10
kweningj    JOINED: 6/1/11    POSTS: 4
Bike Trainer Advice
POSTED: 11/04/11 4:36 PM

With Daylight savings approaching and less daylight available for after work rides I have been contemplating getting a bike trainer.

Can anyone give me advice regarding what type of trainer I should be looking to get? I don't want to spend too much money but at the same time don't want to waste money buying something that will break very easily.

From what I have researched, I'm leaning toward purchasing a fluid trainer but also heard they are prone to breaking.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-John

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: Bike Trainer Advice
POSTED: 11/04/11 5:08 PM

I just bought one (I was using rollers during previous winters) so I've done a lot of reading recently. I'd say there are two trainers that get recommended above all others:

1) Kurt Kinetic Road Machine
2) CycleOps Fluid2

Both are around $300 MSRP, but the CycleOps can be found on sale at places like Performance, while the Kurt Kinetic is usually excluded from those sorts of sales. I ended up with the Fluid2 for that reason.

Everything I read seems to say that you will regret cheaping out on the trainer. I took that advice to heart and bought the quality trainer first, so I can't really tell you if it's true or not though. No regrets so far.

-Brian

gabroe's ravatar gabroe    JOINED: 8/27/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 11/04/11 5:34 PM

I had a cheap trainer for about two winters until I got the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll (it uses the same resistance unit than the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine) and let me tell you the difference is huge, getting a good quality trainer its totally worth the extra (couple) hundred bucks. The cheap one felt like riding on mud, the Kurt Kinetic will give you more road feel, not 100%, but close enough to be able to do 1 to 2 hour sessions comfortably. I've never tried the CycleOps but based on my previous research you can't go wrong with either one.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 11/04/11 7:23 PM

If you live in an apartment complex type of environment, your neighbors might love you more if you invest in a fluid trainer as opposed to a magnetic one. Generally speaking, a fluid trainer is a lot more quiet and a few dollars more.

Is a fluid trainer worth the extra $$? I think that your neighbors will think so :) I own a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. I've owned it for 3 years now. For what it's worth, I think that it was a good purchase. Mine was $225-ish. DCTri had a mass group purchase for trainers one year via Conte with a pretty steep discount. I'm not sure if they will do it again this winter.

I've seen a few Kurt Kinetic fluid trainers on craigslist. You might want to go that route if money is an issue.

Tuan

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
POSTED: 11/04/11 8:34 PM

I have a CycleOps mag trainer. It does the job and cost me around $100. Riding the trainer really sucks so be sure you will use it before forking over big bucks for a top of the line unit. As Tuan mentioned, you may want to keep on eye on Craigslist for used trainer.

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 191
POSTED: 11/06/11 7:14 PM

Did someone say Kurt Kinetic Road Machine group buy? Where do I fork over the cash!!

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 11/07/11 8:35 AM

I think I have the CycleOps Fluid Trainer bc I think I paid a couple hundred for it (ignorance is bliss). I don't ride it nearly as much as I should, but I did put in a 50 miler on it this Fall. Butt has fully recovered - the new Adamo seat on my bike and the bike fit I got at Elite in Philly helped tremendously with that. I am restricted with child care from riding outside as much as I would like so I find myself on the trainer. So far good experience - but I think the bike fit makes it doable.

Gato's ravatar Gato    JOINED: 4/25/11    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 11/07/11 11:03 AM

I had a 1UP trainer for several years. Very nice and portable. 1 UP is a good durable trainer. I swithced to the Cycle Ops Fluid II. Big improvement and worth the price to up grade.

novasupra's ravatar novasupra    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 70
POSTED: 11/12/11 2:35 AM

Has anyone ever used the Lemond Revolution? Wondering how that compares to the KK Road Machine and if it's worth the extra money. Noise isn't an issue.

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 254
POSTED: 11/12/11 1:31 PM

I regularly do 2-3 hr rides on the trainer throughout the winter. Last year I had a cyclops Fluid3 I think, and it was just fine. I picked up a kurt kinetic a couple of months back for $100 on craigslist and have been using that for the past week or two. Honestly I can't tell a difference (although the kurt is just shredding my trainer tire, even with it barely touching). A fluid trainer is a fluid trainer but I'd stay away from magnetic or fan based ones.

Jason

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 11/23/11 10:02 AM

Hey - Fresh/Contes is having a sale on trainers right now - 25% off. And they are having a black friday deal of 40% off of Kinetic Road Machine Indoor Trainer's from 10 to 12. I can't believe it's triathlon training that's going to get me to go to my first Black Friday shopping experience. O_o

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria