Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Watching Clarendon Cup on Sat June 9!?!
CREATED: 05/16/12 by Luke REPLIES: 18
Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 373
Watching Clarendon Cup on Sat June 9!?!
POSTED: 5/16/12 7:23 PM

Is anyone else planning to watch the Clarendon Cup on Saturday, June 9!?! I think it would be fun to get a bunch of people together and watch the race from Whitlow's On Wilson... it's strategically located on a sketchy turn, and the beer flows like water. If enough people are interested, maybe we can even go big and try to do a mixer with one of the other triathlon/running/cycling/swimming groups.

The mens pro race starts at Noon, and generally lasts about 2.5 hours.
http://www.airforcecyclingclassic.com/

-Luke

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 160
RE: Watching Clarendon Cup on Sat June 9!?!
POSTED: 5/17/12 8:31 AM

Luke,
I'd be down with that. I think your idea for location is good too.

Sean

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 5/17/12 10:07 AM

In!

Andrea

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 5/18/12 8:58 AM

In!!

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 547
POSTED: 6/05/12 10:27 AM

Luke, get any traction on a set up spot?

POSTED: 6/05/12 1:28 PM

I just spoke with the good people at Whitlows On Wilson. They don't take reservations for weekends. Tables are first-come first-serve, and they said they will fill up quick. We would have to get there when they open at 9am if we want to be sure to get the prime spot outside by the course (womens pro race is 10am and mens pro race is noon). They also told me that they will ask that we turnover the tables every 40 minutes or so, giving others a chance to watch the race (but we can turn them over to others in our group).

How many people do we think we can get out to this? If we can get about 40 people or more over the course of the day, I think this would work out pretty well! We could probably manage to hold down 5-6 tables (half of the area outside).

We may also be able to put our banner up somewhere by our tables, but they won't allow us to set up our tent.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 6/05/12 6:55 PM

Luke -

Hit me up offline, we may have an opportunity to setup our tent in the expo village somewhere if that's of interest. Waiting to hear back from the race director.

Ryan

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 245
POSTED: 6/06/12 10:28 AM

In!

gandybt    JOINED: 11/8/09    POSTS: 53
POSTED: 6/06/12 12:13 PM

In!! Let me know if you need help setting up the tent
-Brad

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1783
POSTED: 6/06/12 12:27 PM

Would be cool to roll in there after an early-morn long ride, perhaps from W&OD or the regular MacArthur Avenue one.

POSTED: 6/06/12 1:25 PM

I'm planning on doing ~30 from M & Wisconsin out MacArthur to the top of Falls Road Hill & back. Any one wants to come, link up at the Bank at M & Wisconsin at 0600.
-Brad

npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 134
POSTED: 6/07/12 11:09 AM

I'd love to get in a ride before Clarendon Cup. Wife is doing the girl scout thing in DC Saturday so I've got all day with nobody's schedule to consider but my own! Would you guys doing the ride be rolling straight to Clarendon from the ride? Or going home to shower/change first?

-Nik

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 496
POSTED: 6/07/12 12:49 PM

I'm riding 50ish really early and then running. Don't think I'll have time to shower/change first. I may just run to Clarendon.

tycottrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 100
POSTED: 6/07/12 4:55 PM

Here is my proposal:
Start in Georgetown at 7:30 and roll to the T and back to the BP without stopping (approximately 30 miles). Regroup/refuel at the BP and head for Arlington. We might miss the start of the women's race, but not by much.

Mccluer's ravatar Mccluer    JOINED: 5/3/12    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 6/07/12 8:04 PM

In!

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
POSTED: 6/08/12 11:00 AM

Not planning on riding first, but I am planning to wander up the hill to watch for a while. Ryan/Luke, definitely let us know if we can get a plan together because that would be fun.

H

POSTED: 6/08/12 1:17 PM

The Clarendon Cup is tomorrow!! Tons of people have told me they're coming, so we should have a pretty good size crowd! This despite a busy Sunday, that includes EagleMan, the Great Chesapeake Bay Swim, the Air Force Crystal Ride, etc, etc, etc.

The gameplan is to meet at Whitlows On Wilson (WOW!) in the morning to watch the races. We're going to try to hold down a few tables outside by the Wilson-Filmore turn for the duration of the event (altho we'll need to alternate who's sitting there every 45 mins or so). The womens pro race starts at 10am and the mens pro race starts at Noon. Some folks will be there as early as 9am when Whitlows opens. Wear your DC Triclub stuff and come as early as you can after your training/racing committments are over!

For those gear-heads CHAINED to the bike...
It appears there will be a crowd meeting in Georgetown at 6am and another at 7:30 to ride (or so the message board tells me... and it never lies, right?). Contact those who are more bicycle-inclined than myself (which is just about everyone in this club!) for more details. The convo "2012 SAT Ride (weekly)" is a good place to start.

For those brave SOLES interested in running before...
I will be at the Lawyers Have Heart 10K in Georgetown. The race starts at 7:30. Race day registration is available tomorrow morning before 7am. I'll probably be milling around at the finish festival at Washington Harbor for about 30-35 mins, then leaving for Clarendon around 9am.

See you tomorrow!
-The one they call Luke

POSTED: 6/08/12 9:52 PM

won't be at the CC race...going to help the NTPers at HP...Y'all have fun!

POSTED: 6/09/12 6:44 PM

Thanks to everyone for coming out today!! We had a pretty strong crowd of about 25 people, despite the heat and the myriad of races today and tomorrow. Good luck to all of those racing tomorrow, and those getting their fill of more cycling action at the Crystal Ride.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria