Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Are you a jerk to swim in the rain?
CREATED: 06/06/14 by HappyRunner REPLIES: 6
HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 189
Are you a jerk to swim in the rain?
POSTED: 6/06/14 10:32 AM

Here's an etiquette question I haven't heard discussed.

I'm at the outdoor lap pool at our neighborhood swim club to get a workout in; I'm the only one there. So I already feel kinda bad that the life guard has to stop reading her book and go up in the stand but hey, that's her job, right?

Then it starts to rain. Not pouring, but not a sprinkle either (no lightning). Basically a normal "rain." Me, I'm already in the water so rain is irrelevant. But the lifeguard is in the stand, albeit with a "sun" umbrella that's attached to the stand. Not sure how good that is for rain, though. And I've got another 45 minutes of workout left.

I'm pretty compulsive about getting my entire workout in, but certainly don't want to be a jerk. What's the etiquette here?

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
RE: Are you a jerk to swim in the rain?
POSTED: 6/06/14 11:28 AM

I swim in the outdoor pool at the JCC Rockville during the summer. As long as it is just 'rain' and there is no lightning, we continue to swim. The lifeguards don't seem to care that we continue to swim. Perhaps if it starts to pour, then it would be a different story.

DanChoroser    JOINED: 9/13/13    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 6/06/14 12:28 PM

As long as you are adhering to the policies of the pool AND the instructions of the lifeguards then you can most definitely swim in the rain.

The lifeguard will tell you to get out if it isn't safe to swim. I know that at the pool where I used to work, if the lifeguard could not clearly see the bottom of the pool due to rain then it was considered unsafe (in case someone had drowned and sunk to the bottom - because the lifeguards would need to be able to see that.)

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 189
POSTED: 6/06/14 12:50 PM

We have the "see the bottom" rule also. I wouldn't feel bad in a group. But this is just ME forcing the lifeguard to sit out in the rain. When I am finished, she gets to leave the stand and go back to the shelter. That's why I was worried that it might be considered selfish.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
POSTED: 6/06/14 2:38 PM

A few mornings last year when it was raining, I was the only person in the outside pool. It is not selfish at all. If the pool is open, then it is okay to swim.

kerrie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 6/06/14 6:48 PM

I spent more hours than I can count guarding in all kinds of weather. Do your workout with zero guilt. You take the days (weather, people, and emergencies) as they come as a life guard. Guard should be be ready and willing to work in any weather. Rain may be better than a miserably hot and humid afternoon.

BTW - # of people never mattered to us (as long as was safe). We noticed whether people were reasonable (polite/friendly, followed the rules, let us open/close on time, etc.) or were jerks.

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 254
POSTED: 6/06/14 8:52 PM

Swimming in the rain is the absolute best. Especially open water.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria