Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

debating nations sign-up
CREATED: 04/04/09 by ready2run REPLIES: 9
ready2run    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 25
debating nations sign-up
POSTED: 4/04/09 3:47 PM

Is anyone doing Nations and then Savageman the following weekend? Is it crazy to do both? I'm already signed up to do the Savageman Oly and am considering doing Nations as well.

Natalie

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 954
RE: debating nations sign-up
POSTED: 4/04/09 5:37 PM

I would not necessarily recommend it, but I'm sure there are people who would say it doesn't matter. If you're not racing it, then you won't be overexerting yourself and the punishment to your body won't be horrendous. So it's not hard to rest and recover during the week between the two races.

It's a debate that I've had too since I'm signed up for Savageman Oly this year and want to do the Savageman Half next year. I would really like to do Nations sometime, but it's so close to Savageman that I don't want to chance it. Savageman is a really tough course (even the Oly) that if you're not well rested, you very well could be walking your bike and the run course for part of it.

So while I'm definitely racing Savageman, perhaps I'll relay at Nations. I just would not chance it, but that's just me. :)

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 4/06/09 1:46 PM

Do it! I had that schedule last year - Nation's and then the Savage Oly back-to-back. I trained so that I tapered to Nation's and then spent the week before Savageman doing basic "tune-ups." It worked perfectly for me. I wouldn't advise it early in the season when you're still gearing up but after several months of solid training my body bounced right back after Nation's. Plus, there's a sort of laid-back atmosphere to Savageman - no one's PR-ing anything there - so that took off the mental pressure for me.

harburgm's ravatar harburgm    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 94
POSTED: 4/14/09 8:21 AM

I did Nation's and the Savageman half last year. I took plenty of rest in between and thought that Nations was a great way to get my legs warmed up for the much more challenging Savageman course.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 954
POSTED: 4/14/09 8:50 AM

Wow, I totally forgot that I had replied to this and said what I said...

Apparently I even ate my own words as I'm now signed up for Luray Oly (on Saturday) and North East Tri Oly (on Sunday). That's not even 24 hours of rest and there I was saying a week of rest is pushing it.

Oh well, I seem to enjoy torturing myself.

ryan's ravatar ryan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 4/14/09 9:44 AM

A race schedule is a very individualized thing. Do you have a good base or have you been riding the couch? Do you recover quickly, or do your knees hurt for three days after a sprint distance?

That said, two Olys on back-to-back weekends shouldn't be a problem if you are ready for the first one. Now if you asked if you could do Eagleman then Nations the following weekend, I would generally advise against it for all but the elite. But two Olympics on consecutive days...That's hardcore!

Good luck!

-Ryan

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 4/14/09 10:32 AM

Well - Don't debate too long. Nations is almost full.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 4/14/09 11:22 AM

I know someone who did Lake Placid and then Pittsburgh Tri two weeks later and was completely fine...I personally did Timberman 1/2 then North East Tri the following weekend. I wasn't fully recovered for the run at NE, but the bike and swim were totally fine.

Bottom line is, no matter what your head tells you, two olympics is two weekends is entirely doable and you shouldn't have any problem as long as you aren't doing 3 hour rides the day before the 2nd race. Treat that week inbetween as another taper week of work outs and you'll be fine.

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 4/14/09 12:25 PM

You could do Nations as a relay, that way you could still participate but not screw yourself for Savageman.

ready2run    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 4/15/09 1:15 PM

I'm still unsure. I'm also racing the weekend following Savageman. I think I have a good base - I've been training since Jan for the Longhorn half.

Anyone intersted in doing a relay?

Natalie

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria