Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Waterproof MP3 player
CREATED: 11/06/12 by simba2109 REPLIES: 9
simba2109's ravatar simba2109    JOINED: 6/23/11    POSTS: 53
Waterproof MP3 player
POSTED: 11/06/12 7:15 PM

I'm looking to purchase a waterproof MP3 player to pump up my pool running. I checked out DC Rainmaker's review of several waterproof players, but also wanted to ask the DC Tri community for opinions/suggestions. Thanks!

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 398
RE: Waterproof MP3 player
POSTED: 11/07/12 7:31 AM

B-
I was asking this question around last winter during a lot of pool swimming. Heard lots of praise for the SwimP3player.

Curious if anyone would let you demo one...

Good luck, let us know what you get and what you think of it!

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 82
POSTED: 11/07/12 10:08 AM

I have the H2O Audio. Love it. Mine is about 3 yrs old and starting to die, but being a former college swimmer, I probably abuse it more than most in the pool. I'll be looking to upgrade to their newer model around during the holidays.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 196
POSTED: 11/07/12 10:45 AM

I listen to the voices in my head when I swim

-Andy Sovonick of Gaithersburg

jdubon3's ravatar jdubon3    JOINED: 8/11/12    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 11/07/12 11:31 AM

^^^ I thought I was the only one

tpulham's ravatar tpulham    JOINED: 8/10/12    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 11/07/12 3:56 PM

I had the old SwiMP3 player (the blue one) and really liked it. When it finally died (after several years and a fair amount of abuse), I bought the new model despite the many bad reviews it was getting on Amazon. I had the same experience that a lot of the reviewers had--my new one didn't work out of the box and the company's customer service was awful. So I returned it. Now there is a listing on amazon for the new model with a firmware fix. I assume that took care of the problem. But just in case, if you're thinking about buying it, I would recommend reading the reviews to know what the possible problems are and buying it from a place that will let you return it. (Amazon did with no questions.)

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 176
POSTED: 11/07/12 6:18 PM

I swear by the SwiMP3 and second everything Tom (tpulham) mentioned in his reply.

The first generation unit was great; the second generation was issued with firmware that was a complete piece of crap. Finis was totally tone deaf to dealing with the problem (like wanting the customer to pay for return shipping on a defective unit for repair) and seemed overwhelmed by the problems.

It took them close to forever, but the firmware was finally fixed a few months ago. The units now works as well as the first generation, but have twice the storage (2 gig).

The main difference with the SwiMP3 is that it does not have ear buds, but rather uses bone conduction. It works amazingly well.

simba2109's ravatar simba2109    JOINED: 6/23/11    POSTS: 53
POSTED: 11/11/12 7:02 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I'll let you know what I get and what I think of it!

Andre's ravatar Andre    JOINED: 4/8/11    POSTS: 48
POSTED: 11/12/12 7:13 AM

WaterFi sells ipod shuffles that have been waterproofed for the pool. I've had one for over a year now and it works great - super small and good design. Also works great to take on running in the rain.

http://waterfi.com/waterproof-ipod-shuffle

drphungky    JOINED: 9/7/10    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 11/15/12 9:46 AM

I also like my Waterfi, but I'm still trying to find an elegant headphone solution. Experimenting with the different earbud tips, and over the ear holders vs none, etc. I keep getting water in my ears and muffling the sound. Still better than no music, though.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria