Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

My wife says I can do a Half Ironman, so which one do I do?
CREATED: 07/13/09 by amcbride REPLIES: 14
amcbride    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 40
My wife says I can do a Half Ironman, so which one do I do?
POSTED: 7/13/09 3:00 PM

I'm finally healthy enough to do a half iron race after two years of minor ailments that have made long distances a problem. So now the question is - which one? I was thinking about a late one this year or maybe an early one next year. I already have Luray and Nations, as well as the Army 10 Miler scheduled for this year.
I'm torn between something local and a "destination" event. I'm thinking flat rather than hilly and not too hot. Any thoughts?

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: My wife says I can do a Half Ironman, so which one do I do?
POSTED: 7/13/09 3:16 PM

eagleman is local and not hilly at all.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1311
POSTED: 7/13/09 4:02 PM

Eagleman is brutally hot and humid. We got lucky this year with overcast skies through most of the bike ride but it was sunny in the mid 80s during the run. Last year year it was in the mid 90s and very oppressive humidity-wise. It's flat though :)

Patriot is semi-local and flat. NJ devilman is flat and in Sept so it should be cool. A bunch of DCTri folks are going to Augusta GA for an Ironman branded 70.3 race. That one is in late Sept and is suppose to be flat.

Tuan

POSTED: 7/13/09 4:08 PM

eagleman is only hot and humid during the run, during the bike its usually too early in teh day for it to be too hot as of yet...

its flat as board and its only a couple hours drive from here and basically one of the best organized races on the east coast.

aheier    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 7/13/09 6:50 PM

My first Half was Musselman in Central NY in 2006. It remains my favorite race because the the bike is relatively flat, the run is interesting but not too tough and it is extremely well organized. Central NY can be almost as hot as DC during the summer, but rarely as humid.

Andrew

garydean's ravatar garydean    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 7/13/09 7:55 PM

No matter which HIM you decide to for your "first HIM," I recommend Kinetic HIM as at least a full 3-part brick training session.

Eagleman is a great race and very well run. Depending on conditions, however, it can be a crap shoot as to whether you PR or have a miserable time with (mix or match): a swim in whitecaps (they don't call it the choptank for nuthin'), a ride with a brutal headwind that defies logic and remains in your face for most of the large loop, or a sweltering run for which there is zero shade for 11 miles.

Good luck,
Gary

1/2 IM
POSTED: 7/13/09 8:10 PM

eagleman was my first triathlon ever, therefore my first 1/2 ironman ever.

translation = stupidist way to ever start out in the sport.

but i love that course.

that is not your situation as you are more of seasoned triathlete than i was.

eagleman is by no means a "easy" race nor is it the "hardest" race out there, but if you are looking to step up to the 1/2 ironman distance and willing to put in the training and respect the distance, its a well run and challenging race where you can test yourself against not only the elements but possibly one of the best 1/2 ironman fields assembled on the east coast every year.

Afterall, if it was easy you really wouldn't want to do it would you?

another great half that everyone should do at least 1 time is Wildflower, brutal bike course, interesting run course, "woodstock of triathlons" and its in the middle of nowhere in california.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
RE:
POSTED: 7/13/09 9:35 PM

Congratulations on your decision and health. Since you're wife was kind enough to enable your multi-sport dream, might I suggest the following as destination tri's for both of you and to secure her support of your athletic career far into the future: Monaco 70.3, Switzerland 70.3, St. Croix 70.3, Hawaii 70.3.
http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3
A couple websites which focus on long distance tri travel and ensure a good time for families involved are:
http://www.tritheworld.com/
and
http://www.endurancesportstravel.com/

Another consideration might be a half which is well attended by our club, for support and training opportunities, such as Augusta or Austin this year, or the aforementioned Eagleman and Kinetic races next year. If you choose to delay your decistion, you should see posts in the Fall as folks start gearing up to plan trips to 70.3 races next year.

garydean's ravatar garydean    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 7/14/09 12:22 AM

Of course, there is also SavageMan -- which looks like is still open.

POSTED: 7/14/09 8:40 AM

Thanks guys, lot's of interesting ideas!

While I know it's not meant to be easy(!), there is no way I'm doing Savageman as my first Half.

Gary's idea of doing Kinetic makes a lot of sense. And my wife would definitely be into St Croix or Hawaii or Monaco.

Lot's to think about, keep the ideas coming.

POSTED: 7/14/09 8:55 AM

let me get this straight you wanted a non hilly and not hot race but you are leaning toward st croix that is a warm race with a hill called "the beast" and you are looking at hawaii 1/2 that is known to be hot.

POSTED: 7/14/09 9:08 AM

1) OK, so I'm a weenie
2) I saw some places my wife would be happy to visit
3) I didn't do any research
4)

Well there is no (4).

Actually my wife said she wanted to go to Maine to eat lobster while I swim, bike and run for 6ish hours.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1311
POSTED: 7/14/09 9:35 AM

x2 on what Justin said.

If you really don't know what you want and it sounds like you really don't. Why don't you go to http://www.trifind.com/ and pick a bunch of destinations. Once you've narrow it down, you can google race reports on the net to see if it meets your profile. Or, once you've narrowed it down to 3-4 you can ask folks which ones they would recommend.

If international destinations are in play then the world is your oyster. Just go to http://www.trifind.com/ and it'll help you pick the place that you and your wife can agree on.

anthonyacook's ravatar anthonyacook    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 7/14/09 9:49 AM

To become a true Maine-iac and eat lobstah, why not do Pumpkinman?

http://pumpkinmantriathlon.com/

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 7/14/09 10:35 AM

I've done the Hawaii half twice, and it is a briliant race...It has the most beautiful swim you could imagine, but it is a very hard race. I had my two slowest times there, each time completely melting down on the run. The bike is rolling and can be hard if the winds blow the wrong way, but running through the lava field (very hot), and then the golf course (hot, humid, no breeze) is just brutal. Still, its a great event that can be done on a reasonable budget if you look around for housing.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria