Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Useful info for Philly Olympic race (based upon the Sprint race today)
CREATED: 06/26/10 by markhakd REPLIES: 2
markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 223
Useful info for Philly Olympic race (based upon the Sprint race today)
POSTED: 6/26/10 3:00 PM

Hi all,

Here are a few tidbits about today's Philly Sprint that may be useful for those doing the Olympic tomorrow:

1. The water temperature was 84.0 today, and so wetsuits were illegal. If you're the type that might wear a wetsuit in the 78.0-83.9 range, just know that there's no way to know the temperature until you get down to transition, and so you have to make that decision at your car (which is a good ways from transition).

2. In transition, you're only assigned a row (not a specific spot). So, there's certainly value in arriving early, since you can claim a much better spot than those that arrive later.

3. The swim start was in-water, and you have to tread water for probably 3 minutes. You can avoid that (if you want) by getting at the back of your wave and staying right near the swim entrance (where you can still stand). This may of course be different for the Olympic but worth mentioning.

4. Transition is pretty large, and yet almost nobody was running through it. Take advantage of that and run through both T1 and T2 if you have the energy. You'll gain some valuable time that way.

5. The refs were aggressive with penalties. About 100 people got penalties, mostly for illegal passing/blocking/drafting. Definitely pay attention to your positioning on the bike. Remember: stay to the right except when passing, and keep a few lengths from the person in front of you.

6. The bike course will be congested, especially at the narrow spots. Again, watch your positioning.

Hope this helps! Good luck tomorrow to everyone.

Kevin

tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 225
RE: Useful info for Philly Olympic race (based upon the Sprint race today)
POSTED: 6/26/10 3:24 PM

Thanks so much for the info.

Just curious, but what is the water like other than the tempature? I heard its pretty gross. I am actually suprised your swan because the water is code red.

Thanks.

Tania.

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 223
RE: Useful info for Philly Olympic race (based upon the Sprint race today)
POSTED: 6/26/10 4:05 PM

I was expecting much worse... I didn't find the water gross at all. It didn't have a weird taste or smell, as far as I could tell!

As far as the Code Red, they basically said during the pre-race meeting "don't worry about it". So, I'm sure the swim will be on for tomorrow.

Kevin

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria