Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Patriots Course Ride - Sunday 9/6
CREATED: 09/01/09 by wombat REPLIES: 4
wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
Patriots Course Ride - Sunday 9/6
POSTED: 9/01/09 10:52 AM

I am venturing down to Williamsburg Sunday to ride the Patriots bike and run courses. Leaving DC area around 5:30 am and unsure how long it will take to drive there, do the course (I am slow and calculating 15 mph average) and drive home. Anyone want to join me?

Tammy_L_Farmer@hotmail.com

Happy training!

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 205
RE: Patriots Course Ride - Sunday 9/6
POSTED: 9/07/09 6:33 AM

Sorry I couldn't join you, but what did you discover/learn about the course? I hear it ranges from flat to lots of false-flats...

POSTED: 9/08/09 1:29 PM

I rode the course on Sunday with Attiya, Shelly and Otis. Here are my impressions. Most of the course is on 2 lane highway, no shoulder, significant (several inches) drop-off. There's a running/bike path which parallels Rt 5 east of the bridge so be aware of others using the trail on race day. The trail crosses Rt.5 and someone may suddenly appear in the road.

I made a cue sheet using the mile markers on goggle maps and eyeballing/guestimating distances. So all the distances are approximated - take with a grain of salt.

0.0 Straight on Jamestown Road

1.0 L on Greensprings (occurs immediately after the Jamestown Visitors Center)

3.1 L on Rt 5/John Taylor Highway (most of this road is 2 lane highway, no shoulder. Shaded.)

7.0 X water/bridge (Pedestrian/bike trail crosses road before bridge so be aware of traffic. There's construction on the bridge - watch out for debris and don't ride too close to the right - I saw nails. Also, bridge has joint/expanders so watch out)

11.2 R on Wilcox Neck (there's a white with green trim abandoned shop at intersection. Also this is where road starts getting bumpy/lots of road vibration!)

15.0 water bottle hand-off

16.5 L on The Glebe (not a true left turn. Rather Wilcox Neck just fades into Glebe. I didn't notice it except I was reading a sign for Blue Heron restaurant and noticed street sign/name had changed. Begin lots of fields -- soybean, corn, some cotton. No shade, boring ride.)

24.0 R on Ruthville. (Begin to see some signs of civilization before this right turn.)

25.9 L on Courthouse (Ruthville dead-ends into Courthouse and you can only turn left or right. Finally start getting some shade again.)

28.1 R on South Lott Carey. (There's a little historical sign/placard explaining why South Lott Carey is relevant. Shaded ride, some small rollers.)

30.0 water bottle hand-off

30.9 L on Adkins (Conveniece store at intersection. Riding down Adkins beware of reeds/plants along side of road which grow out and may whack you in the face)

35.4 L on Route 5/John Taylor Highway. (Boring stretch. Ready to get off bike and run. Slight uphill but no shifting required. Watch out for cars zipping around you, then slamming on brakes and turning right into gas station. I missed an idiot by 12 inches who did that to me. Trees again line road, shaded.)

44.0 water bottle hand-off

50.4 X water/bridge. (Again watch out for construction debris, bridge joints, pedestration/bike path traffic crossing road after the bridge)

55.2 R on Greensprings (watch out for trail users - don't run into them while turning. Sunny, no shoulder)

57.2 R on Jamestown

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 205
POSTED: 9/08/09 2:43 PM

Fantastic, thank you for the scouting report! I'm doing the International, so the turnaround is a little bit after the turn onto Wilcox Neck. Is the highway pretty flat?

POSTED: 9/08/09 2:51 PM

Rt. 5/John Taylor Highway is virtually flat. Slight downhill on out, slight uphill back. You won't need to shift your gears - it's only noticeable if you are very, very tired. My biggest battle on the ride was boredom -- not a lot to look at and if you're slow like me, it makes the hours drag on and on.

Most of the road surfaces are good, but Wilcox Neck is terrible. Literally a ball buster. Be prepared.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria