A few announcements on Regional Happy Hours.
- Once again, based on great efforts of social coordinators past, Regional Happy Hours return in 2010, tentatively in the first week of each month. Exact dates TBD.
- Rachelle and Casey are graciously returning as hosts for your NW and NoVa HH coordinators. This is not an insignificant duty and we really appreciate their efforts. Thanks!
- Casey and Rachelle can use an extra hand or two (as can I for larger club events). Email me if you want to be a socal volunteer.
- If you wish an HH in your neighborhood and want to be a POC, please let me know. We can provide assistance to help you be a success. As with most things in this club, there is no "they" as in "they don't schedule a HH in my neighborhood". If you want an additional HH, please volunteer!
- For February, we will not have regional HH's. In order to support Travis and company's NTP recruiting campaign (did you guys know that NTP has started? Not sure if you'd heard...on the forum, buzz, email, fb, newspapers, etc. - haha), the club will have the NTP HH on 3 Feb as the social focus. Enjoy and be nice to the newbies and do not scare them away from the club please.
- As soon as I relearn how to post things on the Buzz this will be more officially-sounding. Until then I'm just a forum junkie like you.
- talksimon at gmail dot com
Simon, I live in the SW Waterfront area and would be interested in volunteering to set up a HH in this area however there are only a hand full, literally 4 or 5, restaurants in or worth investigating in this area. I am thinking of a seasonal restuarant here at the SW Waterfront. The others are a higher price and/or wouldn't provide the outdoor, party, Island atmosphere for a Spring or Summer event that this particular spot would. In other words, "it ain't a party til sump'n gets broke". Let me know if you would be interested in me pursuing this. R, Art PS-They often have bands playing island music, etc...that sort of place.
In the summer time, DC Tri puts on a HH or 2 at Cantina Marina.
Is that the place you're talking about?
We've never tried the new Bullpen Bar outside of Ntls Park. It's open air. But, their drink specials are killer and they have cornhole, bball, etc. Huge space, too.
Any other places in SW?
Giggidy... Lisa said cornhole! :-) Sorry, got the Friday high.
I am in DC and know plenty of bartenders (no comments), so I am sure I could help set up a few happy hours. I will send you an email Simon.
The HH folks last year came up with some fun, inventive pubs, like:
Maybe a revival of a club tradition would also be in order for such HHs, for instance, the Zoo Run, a hill loop through the National Zoo, followed by beers/burgers afterwards at the Zoo Bar across the street. The hill coming up Rock Creek then Connecticut from the back of the zoo is a stiff workout.
Guys thanks for your responses.
Art that's a cool idea to have stuff in SW. As Lisa mentioned, if you are talking about Cantina Marina, we've had a lot of great times as a club there. I need you contact info if you want to help organize. Thanks.
Tania thanks for volunteering and for coming aboard the Social Staff to help coordinate club events.
Ed, what can I say - I'm responsible for beer. If you want to do some crazy run before a HH go ahead.