Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Tonight's "Hawaii Five-O" to feature triathlon
CREATED: 11/22/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 4
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
Tonight's "Hawaii Five-O" to feature triathlon
POSTED: 11/22/10 7:46 PM

I haven't seen the new series yet but I noticed that the promo for tonight's episode seems to focus on a triathlon, likely inspired by the Ironman World Championship. The preview shows triathletes running down to the water and then a large group of triathletes swimming, with the camera filming the swimmers from below.

In another scene, someone tackles a guy who is riding a bike near the beach. I don't know if that's a detective tackling a suspect or a bad guy tackling a victim or what. All I know is that there's a lot of triathlon going on in this episode.

The episode is titled "Hao Kanaka", which apparently means "Iron Man" in Hawaiian. Pretty cool.

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cbs/hawaii-five-o/hawaii-five0-preview-season-1-episode-10/39702

If you're interested, check it out. The episode airs at 10 pm tonight on CBS. If you don't have time to watch it, you can catch it later on at CBS.com or TV.com and watch it online, legally. Maybe in a day or two. It'll probably be available on demand through your cable or satellite TV provider too.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/hawaii_five_0/video/

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
RE: Tonight's "Hawaii Five-O" to feature triathlon
POSTED: 11/23/10 9:36 AM

Hulu.com also carries Hawaii Five-O.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 11/23/10 12:20 PM

I only saw the 2nd half of the episode. The robbers had bike trainers at their house, and their race number bibs and timing chips laid out on the kitchen counter on the evening before the race. In TV land, triathlon timing chips have GPS trackers so that the police can pinpoint your exact location at all times. LOL

I also learned that if you want to rob a bank or a jewelry storage area, it's perfectly fine to wear an aero helmet and to climb a building wall using a rope while wearing bike shoes. Hey, it was on TV so it must be true. I may have to try this next year when I pass the Treasury Dept. building in the middle of the Washington DC Tri.

But I don't want to be too harsh. I'm glad to see that the writers based an episode of a popular show on a triathlon race. But couldn't they have made the triathletes the good guys? I don't know if I'll be able to sleep from now on.

I heard that some of the extras are local Hawaiian elite triathletes, which is a nice touch. I'm glad the producers didn't just go to a gym and toss a bunch of powerlifters into the race scenes to try to pass them off as triathletes.

I'll have to watch the entire episode online once it's available. Yeah, it may not be a life-changing experience but it's interesting to see that triathlon is getting publicity in a mainstream TV drama series. Maybe there have been triathlon-based episodes in one of the other detective shows (CSI, Law & Order, etc.) but I haven't followed those series in years.

dcgirl    JOINED: 3/10/10    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 11/23/10 8:07 PM

At first I laughed at the ridiculousness (B&E in an aero helmet, seriously?), but then I remembered how much I've spent on gear since I started doing tris and started thinking that maybe I should have been pulling jewelry heists to pay for it all. :)

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
POSTED: 11/24/10 10:28 AM

I really love Hawaii and of course I enjoy Tris and everything about them, but I agree that the show was painful. The acting in that show is so very bad.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria