After my little tumble off the bike Sunday at the brick-nic the doc cleared me to run and bike when I'm up to it... and swim when the abrasions are gone and I have some semblance of range of motion in my left shoulder. Since ACJ sprains take 4-6 weeks to heal I don't think I want to push it by swimming in 2... even if I do feel better.
With all that in mind, I contacted the Nations RD to see if I can defer...he''ll guarantee me a spot for 2010 but I'll have to pay for registration again next year (how that's a deferment I have no idea). Anyway, I just emailed back to see if, assuming I can find a swimmer, I can change my registration to a relay.
If anyone hasn't registered and wants some OWS practice, I would be thrilled to race with you so my race fee doesn't go to waste. Besides, I want to roll past that darn sewer grate and spit in it so it knows who's boss! :-)
Let me know. Feel free to email me at email@example.com and if the RD green lights it, we can work it out.
(T-man, are you already in? If not, feel like showing off the skills Julie showed you and being my swim leg?)
Becky the crash test dummy
never mind... RD told me it was too late to change my registration. Bummer.
any thoughts on how I can race but skip the swim?
Maybe I'll just do do that: skip the swim and pick up with the bike leg about 30 minutes after my swim leg starts?. I'm leaning that way since I'm not a fan of them eating my ridiculously high registration fee.
1. The vertical swimmer does not swim for fun let alone doing it in the Potomac
2. If you are going to skip the swim and go directly to the bike and run without the approval from the RD, you are breaking the rule. I'm not much of a rules man myself but consider that breaking the rule means that you are subject to being banned from all USAT sanctioned races for 1 year (i.e., kiss your $250 Eagleman registration goodbye). That, with the fact that Travis is the goodwill ambassador to the Nations tri, DCTri plays a big part in the Nations tri, and Cory Church is on the USAT mid-atlantic power council make this not such a good idea. IMHO.
thanks, t-man. I hadn't pondered that... just trying to figure out what to do.
I did reach out to our goodwill ambassador to see if he could put in a good word for me with the RD.
I do know refund deadlines/registration deadlines are in place for a reason and no one plans a crash... just hoping to figure out what I can do to salvage the $165. Bad timing on my part. Next time I decide to try to fly, I'll be sure it's in plenty of time to cancel my next race.
Travis is very handsome man. He has a very beautiful fiance. He will go to heaven. I think that if you repeat that enough times to him ... he might be able to pull some strings :) I have heard that they've made special exemptions in the past for insiders with injuries.
It's like anything else in life, it's not what you know but who you know ... and as we all know, Travis is a strikingly handsome man. You tell Travis that I will sleep with him if that's what it takes :)
You're beginning to worry me Tuan. :)
If anyone can do it, Travis can. He's speaks, RDs listen!
Sounds like I may be out of luck...just learned that I've got a multiple rotator cuff tear. Was thinking about dropping down to the Sprint like some folks did in NJ, only to realize there isn't one. Oh well, guess that may only leave 5,998 racers for the rest of you to avoid! ;-)
Bryan, I think I'm the one who needs to be worried!
Now we advocate "bending the rules" because our club "supports the race" or has volunteers at it.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. That was the best laugh i got all day. Thank you DC triclub for making my day.
But seriously, you have to swim the swim before the bike and run or eat the cost of the race and consider it a charitable donation on your part.
Look on the bright side, at least you won't have to eat the full entry fees of IM Kentuky, Columbia and Eagleman which amount to almost $900.. now that sucked..
In addition to discretion, sometimes silence is the better part of valor.
What's the big issue with deferring until 2010? It will cost you an additional $175. You're lucky that Nation's tri even offers the option, especially one and a half weeks before the race. Races that allow you to defer are rare in the world of triathlon and running. The only exceptions that I can think of is the NYC marathon, which you have to pay the registration fee again. Deferring is always going to cost you $$. Plus, your post made it sound like the race director answered your e-mail personally. Sorry about your injury, but this is a no brainer.
I'll swim for ya
thanks, Simon! That's really nice!
The RD said it was too late to change registration, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? I'll keep you posted.
If it's a no go, I'll likely sit this one out unless some miracle happens in the next week and a half (and by miracle I mean that I can lift my arm above my head without wincing).
No big deal... I'll have the off season to ponder the clusterf@*! that was my bike ride in NE as my season finale -- which I think will sufficiently inspire me to kick some tail next year.