Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Nations -Dumb Questions
CREATED: 09/01/09 by amcbride REPLIES: 16
amcbride    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 40
Nations -Dumb Questions
POSTED: 9/01/09 1:04 PM

How many peopel are entered? I've seen some crazy numbers, like 6,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard they were going to announce the swim waves this week, I like to agonise over how many people will swim over me for as long as possible. Any news on this.

I also watch the weather channel every day to see the long range forecast, just so I can worry about rain, water temperature, etc.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 945
RE: Nations -Dumb Questions
POSTED: 9/01/09 1:20 PM

You are correct, there are about 6000 people registered for Nations this year. But if you look at the swim course, it's been divided so that there are two loops swimming concurrently. So you'll have about 3000 people doing each swim course and then co-mingling on the bike and run.

So for the swimming, it really won't be any different than previous years (3000 people on the swim). The real key is whether you get assigned to the upstream loop or the downstream one. That will matter as to whether you fight the current for the first half of your swim, or the second half of your swim.

itri_45    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 9/01/09 1:26 PM

"So for the swimming, it really won't be any different than previous years (3000 people on the swim). The real key is whether you get assigned to the upstream loop or the downstream one. That will matter as to whether you fight the current for the first half of your swim, or the second half of your swim."

It'll also matter to those who breath on one side. I breath to my left and thus prefer to swim upstream first so I can sight on the buoys.

Duc

POSTED: 9/01/09 1:29 PM

6,000!

Do we think there might be some drafting on the bike course?

I think they'll need to get a bigger transition area too, like maybe the entire Mall.

DAMN!

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 9/01/09 2:46 PM

Drafting is going to be borderline Mandatory on this one... Hell it's hard not to draft in NYC Triathlon and that is only 2500-3000 I think. Should be fun, and be careful out there. With this news, think I might witch up to my road bike for this one.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 9/01/09 2:59 PM

6000 is a lot of souls to occupy one stretch of road and to fit into a transition area. I'm sure there will be more than a few jerks taking things way too seriously, yelling, screaming, pushing, shoving, drafting...but I hope those people don't wear DC Tri gear.

Every race has its unique challenges, and maybe this race's is navigating through 5999 other people. Be nice, have fun, and do your best with the conditions as they are.

-Jason

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 9/01/09 3:07 PM

look on the bright side, if nothing else you will practice breathing on the opposite side in the race to help for future races..

wow that is a lot of people for the race, didn't realize it was approaching chicago/nyc type numbers now.

as long as the race marshalls hand down fair and appropriate penalties for drafting and other violations and make their presence known that will hopefully discourage many people from drafting.

i say bring the tri bike to the race, its a relatively flat course with some fast sections where being aero will help... although then again with all the 90 degree turns, a road bike may be the better choice... hmm will have to give that one some thought after studying the course layout and profile (for the newbies that is always a good thing to do in addition to going to the mandatory race briefings)

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 945
POSTED: 9/01/09 3:21 PM

I just looked at the general Race Weekend Schedule and it says the first swim wave goes off at 7:00 AM and the last swim wave goes off at 9:00AM (it doesn't list specific waves yet). So there will be people in the first wave who are crossing the finish line before the last wave of swimmers have even started?? That's just crazy.

I was about to say I'm glad I'm not racing in Nations, but as I'll be at a run course aid station handing out water.... yeah, this will be a VERY long day.

Be sure to thank the volunteers! :)

POSTED: 9/01/09 3:41 PM

Firts off, to all the volunteers - THANKS.

It really is their efforts that make the race a great experience.

But getting back to the 6,000 question, thatworks out to 120 people per wave going off every five minutes in both directions! It'll be fun just finding my wave!

Just how many neon colors are there for swim caps?

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 9/01/09 4:10 PM

Disclaimer: I'm only a messenger. Actual race decisions are left to the race director. However, here's what I know to be true as of last week.

Transition: Transition will be no problem. We have use of the entire ball field area on the west end of West Potomac Park. The way it's set up, there are essentially 2 enormous transition areas to cut down on congestion. We're lucky in this aspect, you'll be shocked at how roomy transition is.

Swim Corral: Before swim start, there is a swim pen to hold athletes waiting for their waves. Just pay attention to the signs, volunteers and the clock and you'll be just fine.

Swim Course: After discussing with the RD, we are most likely looking at one swim course, not the dual start. Swim waves will be adjusted to compensate for this change that has been made to ease congestion on the bike course. Also, it's only Tuesday, you'll most likely still see swim waves out this week ;-)

Bike Course: It's been changed from last year to cut out several sharp turns in order to improve safety. It should also help speed up your bike times as you won't have to slow up into so many sharp turns.

Volunteers: Yes, they are AWESOME! Thank them, be polite, and remember that they are the first to the race and the last to leave. If you are racing, please sign up to volunteer at packet pick-up or goody bag stuffing. We're looking good for volunteers on race day and are still looking for help Thurs-Sat. Volunteer rolls can be found HERE »

Thanks and see you and a few thousand of your friends on race weekend!

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 9/02/09 5:46 AM

I've got another question to add to the mix - does anyone remember from last year what the water temperature is like? I have a friend who is doing this race and doesn't have a wetsuit. She's wondering if she'll be okay without or if she should try to rent one. She's a strong swimmer so I think she'll go without unless it really seems necessary.

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 9/02/09 7:09 AM

last year the air temp was about 300F...but the water was wetsuit legal ...at least I know I wore a wetsuit.

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 9/02/09 8:10 AM

I have two wetsuits...I'll be wearing the sleeveless, but if she wants to have a long sleeve on hand as a back-up, she's welcome to borrow it.

It's an XTerra S/M.

Paula

POSTED: 9/02/09 8:12 AM

If I remember right the official water temp was 77, just on the line. My guess is it'll be about the same this year, maybe a little cooler.

POSTED: 9/06/09 8:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the information. I think she's going to go without a wetsuit even if it's a little cooler than last year but it was really helpful to know what the water is like and what other people are doing to help her make her decision.

POSTED: 9/12/09 11:17 AM

Paula,

Do you still have a wetsuit available that my friend could borrow? I know it's pretty last minute but she's concerned about the water temperature after yesterday's rain and we think mine might be a little too small.

You could also email me at michele at philosana dot com

Thanks,
Michele

harburgm's ravatar harburgm    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 94
POSTED: 9/16/10 1:17 PM

Here is an answer about the number of racers, you all were part of a Guinness World Book of Records!
http://www.runwashington.com/news/2867/314/Robert-Wade-of-Arlington-and-Peggy-Yetman-of-Leesburg-are-Tops-at-the-5th-Annual-Nation%C3%A2-s-TriathlonTM.htm
PS join the Facebook page for more updated information and training tips:
http://www.facebook.com/TheNationsTriathlon?ref=ts

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria