Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Eagleman and Columbia Registration
CREATED: 07/13/09 by trithis73 REPLIES: 76
trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
RE: Eagleman and Columbia Registration
POSTED: 8/04/09 10:44 AM

Well I am in for Eagleman. Granted with the price of that race, I am now dipping into my kids College fund, but who cares. From what I hear in the news, you are not gauranteed a job anyways. And if she goes to college and doesn't get a job, I will have to go through the pain of helping my daughter sue her college. Guess this is actually working out for the best then.

cfudge1    JOINED: 3/4/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 8/04/09 10:57 AM

My sticker shock didn't last long(!)

I'm in too.

Carl

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 8/04/09 10:58 AM

If you go to college and don't get a job you can now sue the college so no worries Mark.
Re: type A's - it's not necessarily that you have to be type A to sign up early (though of course we are all type A's in triathlon), but that you learn lessons - get in early or you will want to get in later and it will be closed.
Guys I'm not sure what the logic or usefulness is of bashing the race director of the race you just signed up for. If they are putting a product out in the market place (the 70.3 series) that people are signing up for and filling up, then they have every right to charge a market price for it. When it fills up, $255 will seem like a bargain when you want to do the race and can't get in.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 249
POSTED: 8/04/09 11:05 AM

I agree... if you don't like the organization, the race director, or the race - don't register. Certainly don't register then bad mouth everything about the race... some of us are happy to be doing it, some of us will be doing it for the first time, some of us will be doing our first HIM... and we all want a good experience with the support and encouragement of our friends. Take a lesson from Bambi's mom, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Please don't ruin it for the rest of us.
If you're that worried about missing the refund deadline, go ahead and cancel now so that someone who wants to race can get the spot.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1319
POSTED: 8/04/09 11:55 AM

There will be lots of hungry children in America tonight because I just decided to use my $255 on a race just to get a free pair of socks instead of bettering mankind. I will burn in hell for this.

On a brighter note ... I'm in. Can't wait for the NTP class of 2010 volunteers to remove the race chip from my ankle. What they don't know won't hurt them ;)

Tuan

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 8/04/09 12:12 PM

In for Eagleman!

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/04/09 12:34 PM

Simon- I have to agree with you. This guy must put on a heck of a race, specially if it's filling up that quick. For me, I have heard nothing but great things about this race. Granted I hear mother nature usually plays a cruel joke on race day, but then again we don't live in a Utopia. That's why I signed up with no hesistation.

Tuan- You need some SERIOUS help. Gonna have to get you in touch with the people that see me. They give you a special white hug yourself jacket, and a padded room, so you can sleep standing up. I think they will be showing a picture of you at the NTP brief, with the quote, "DO NOT REMOVE THIS MAN's RACING CHIP" or touch his saddle while helping him with this bike...lol

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 8/04/09 1:07 PM

Hey Kids!

I'm in as well!! Woo Hoo!!

First 70.3. Kill me now.

Paula

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
POSTED: 8/04/09 1:41 PM

Don't really know why, but I'm in. First half. I hate/love/hate/love peer pressure.

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 8/04/09 2:44 PM

Well, I'm in for 2010. Certifiable, but in.

Will

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 8/04/09 4:12 PM

I'm in for the swim and dragging 2 newbies in for the bike and run leg. Yeah. Then I'll do Providence 70.3 in July all by myself.

Ok - but can we bash the Chesapeake Hyatt at $250+ a night, which is the "special" Eagleman rate; completely commercial organization; plus I think last year when I booked there was a 2 night minimum at the "special" rate.

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 8/04/09 5:32 PM

If that makes you mad then this will REALLY make you mad--I have a room at the Holiday Inn Express already but am trying to find a place that doesn't have a 2-night minimum (and is a step up from camping, which I might resort to) and the reservations agent told me that there is a block of rooms for Eagleman participants but that the room block isn't open yet AND they aren't allowed to "say anything" about what the room rates might be, apparently under strict orders from the race organizers. All he could tell me was that there would be a 2-night minimum.

garydean's ravatar garydean    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 8/04/09 5:38 PM

The camping option at the Cambridge South Dorchester High School grounds (about 3 miles from the race site) is not only the right price, but very comfortable. Full bath facilities including showers in the locker rooms are provided.

POSTED: 8/04/09 5:42 PM

Gary, do you know if you can register for a camping slot outside of the race application itself? I selected "no" on camping, but I am rethinking that decision in light of the expense of lodging in the area...

POSTED: 8/04/09 5:51 PM

Never mind, looks like you can sign up for camping directly at

http://www.tricolumbia.org/Eagleman/images/Camping_Application.pdf

lieutenantmudd's ravatar lieutenantmudd    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 8/04/09 9:41 PM

dixon,

The "yes" link on the registration page is just a link to the PDF you linked.

smakane's ravatar smakane    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 8/05/09 8:40 AM

In for Eagleman again... glad to see so many club folks again... hopefully in 2010 I'll cross the finish line without a broken wrist... I can only imagine how much fun the 13.1 run will be in one piece!! =)

POSTED: 8/05/09 9:21 AM

To dixonm:

Pls don't tell me they are putting the elites/pros in the Holiday Inn Express. I know times are tough, but that is just tacky.

My office regularly has corporate retreats out at that Hyatt. I asked the retreat planner what the overflow hotels are that we use. When she gets back to me, I'll post the info on this blog for everyone.

Maureen

POSTED: 8/05/09 9:27 AM

Holiday Inn Express in Chesapeake and Easton are all booked.

postie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 8/05/09 9:38 AM

The Holiday Inns are available. However, the hotels are requiring a 2 night stay. That's why you aren't finding rooms available for just Saturday night.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria