Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Eagleman and Columbia Registration
CREATED: 07/13/09 by trithis73 REPLIES: 76
mmerson's ravatar mmerson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 67
RE: Eagleman and Columbia Registration
POSTED: 8/05/09 11:01 AM

I am writing out of curiosity for whomever put this up on the DC Tri Club forum thread about Eagleman and Columgia:
vatriathlete JOINED: 2/28/09 POSTS: 195

POSTED: 8/04/09 9:32 AM

don't even get me started on what i think of money grubbing race directors that pull this crap.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My reply: Rob Vigorito, our regional president who happens to run the Columbia Triathlon Association and Eagleman, Columbia, Make a Wish, Irongirl, and Chesapeakeman, among other events -- is the most generous athlete-centred race director in the history of the sport. CTA is a non-profit, with any profits going to charities. He works the finish line like no other race director waiting for athletes to finish. He waited nearly 17 hours for me to finish before midnight in Hawaii two years ago and does this for everyone he knows. He has devoted his life to this sport, as USAT national president, regional president, etc. He has opened his home and his heart to athletes from all walks of life. Eagleman was named the race with the best volunteer force this year because Vigo makes it all about the athletes. SO... I'm wondering, which money-grubbing race director were you talking about?
... and what's the "crap" that you're so incensed about? I'd like to know what bad thing happened to you at the hand of what evil person so we can fix it? Many thanks for your help figuring this out.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 8/05/09 12:22 PM

Myself, and some friends have a single tent (think Team Z-type) that we'd like to put up to escape from the sun at the race after we finish. There isn't a cost for this, right? If its just in the grass out of the way? Its just a single tent...

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 8/06/09 1:14 PM

some of you need to ante up and sign up. you know who you are...640 slots left as of yesterday.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
POSTED: 8/06/09 1:30 PM

I'm in for year 4. :-)

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 8/06/09 1:42 PM

Tidewater Inn in Easton ($125/night) did not require a 2 night minimum stay when I called.

I also booked Hampton Inn in Easton, which did require a 2 night minimum stay (sat $167, sun $149).

Saw reviews for Choice and Days Inn in Easton on the website and did not sound like a nice place to stay - camping would be better than these 2.

I signed up for Providence 70.3 next July. Gratefully, I have a friend with a house up there and their son is my daughter's age - so babysitting as well - just the 9 hr drive to contend with. Anyone else considering Providence?

rdejonck's ravatar rdejonck    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 8/06/09 1:55 PM

Just want to put in a plug for the camping option. You can't beat the price. I did that this year and it worked out great. The location was convenient, with a back route from the high school to the race so you don't have to fight race morning traffic. There were showers and toilets in the HS gym. I was a little worried that it would rain and get everything wet and miserable. Turns out it did, but thankfully the tent held up pretty well.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 8/06/09 1:58 PM

I can vouch for the Tidewater Inn - stayed there last summer for a friend's wedding and it was very nice, right in Easton.

I have friends who have camped and had good experiences too.

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 8/06/09 2:41 PM

And in case there's anyone who missed the story on the front page of yesterday's NYT about this development: I'm IN for eagleman. (peer pressure is REAL, people. Let's hope they don't start offering me drugs! Then again...)

and i'm staying with a friend! ha!

(And many thanks to mmerson for the post above.)

jeanne

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 8/06/09 3:04 PM

Huh, I just spoke to Tidewater Inn and they told me they DID require a 2-night stay that weekend.

Has anybody else been able to secure a room for one night either at Tidewater or elsewhere?

Matt

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 8/06/09 3:20 PM

Wow - I must have gotten someone new on the phone or before they received alot of calls and caught on ...

BigRedCoaching's ravatar BigRedCoaching    JOINED: 8/12/09    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 8/12/09 10:44 AM

Hello DC Tri Members!

I am a new member and I live in Bethesda. I took this past year off to focus on running, but I'm back to doing triathlons again for 2010. I signed up for Eagleman. Very excited! Can't wait to get back into a regular training schedule.

-Happy Training,
Josh

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 952
POSTED: 9/08/09 9:09 AM

Columbia Triathlon registration is now open. Get in while it's still open. :)

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 9/08/09 9:10 AM

Yup, it's open!

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 9/08/09 9:57 AM

In for age group. 1st time not cheering on the run!

cfudge1    JOINED: 3/4/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 9/08/09 10:06 AM

does columbia fill up quickly?

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 952
POSTED: 9/08/09 10:25 AM

Last year, I believe it filled up in about 12 hours.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 9/10/09 4:50 PM

I am in for Eagleman, my first 70.3. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria