Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Where do you swim in NoVa and MoCo?
CREATED: 03/02/11 by abbyjs REPLIES: 13
abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
Where do you swim in NoVa and MoCo?
POSTED: 3/02/11 10:39 AM

I'm updating the training section of the website, and there is a lot of information about where to swim in DC, but not so much about NoVa and MoCo.

I would love to post this information for everyone!

Thanks,

Abby

laineym3's ravatar laineym3    JOINED: 7/2/10    POSTS: 122
RE: Where do you swim in NoVa and MoCo?
POSTED: 3/02/11 10:47 AM

hey Abby! I manage the MoCo google group of dc tri and we always have stuff going on.

the places that we've typically gotten together to swim is at the Montgomery Acquatic Center aka the "MAC" and when its nice outside, we hit up the Rockville City outdoor pool; they have heated 50m lap lanes.

other than that, I'm usually at the pool at my gym @ Sport and Health in Rio/Gaithersburg.

Elaine

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 3/02/11 10:47 AM

I swim in the mornings at the Rockville Jewish Community Center.

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 369
POSTED: 3/02/11 11:26 AM

All of the high schools in Arlington Country have pools... but I think they may only be open to Arlington residents and organized training groups. I swim at Washington & Lee high school... it costs $5. You may also consider checking out Yorktown HS.

Also, Fairfax County has several RecCenters with pools. Oak Marr probably has the biggest pool. But Spring Hill, Providence, Lee District, and Providence are all pretty good too.
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/wp-recenter.htm

-Luke

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 206
POSTED: 3/02/11 11:40 AM

Germantown Indoor Swim Center, in Germantown, MD.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 160
POSTED: 3/02/11 3:31 PM

Arlington county pools are open to non-Arlington residents, it just costs more. Washington-Lee high school is near Balston metro and is a great, new pool.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 3/02/11 3:39 PM

Fort Myer has two cheap options for anyone with a military or gov't civilian ID.

1. Zembiec Pool 25 yards - Indoor during the winter and Free
2. Community Pool 50 meters- Outdoor $3 when it's less than 85 degrees outside, free when it's over 85 degrees

Don't say I never gave you anything.

Brad

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 3/02/11 8:11 PM

I swim at Ballys in Rockville MD

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
POSTED: 3/02/11 10:18 PM

Chinquapin pool on upper King St., Alexandria. The Old Town pool near lower King St. The Mt. Vernon Rec Center in Belle Haven. The Crystal City Sport and Health pool.

The Rockville City outdoor heated pool often opens before Mem Day. (A MontCo group event there might be nice.)

The Wilson pool is so close to the MD border it's a de facto MontCo pool. Ditto the Hains Pt. pool for Nova. And you don't even need the pool there when Hains Pt. floods...

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 3/03/11 12:37 AM

Xsports Fitness in Alexandria!http://www.xsportfitness.com/index.htm

Cheers,
Adriana

ksdecker44    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 3/03/11 7:26 AM

Hi Abby,

Rockville/Bethesda Swim locations (not listed above, unless I missed them)

Bethesda outdoor pool (50 m lap lanes, open summer months, located on corner of Little Falls Parkway & Hillandale Road, Bethesda, capital crescent is across the street and we have organized practice training tris there in the summer. $195 (summer pass); $4 MOCO resident; $6.50 non-MOCO resident; reduced rates after 5:30pm.

Georgetown Prep: I swim with the Curl Burke team there. Great one hour to hour/half coached workouts/stroke instruction, but you have to register with the team and US Masters to swim with them. ($35 for US Masters Swimming registration; I pay $75 for a 10 swim punch card - and you pay per practice, not bad for coached workouts!

Schedule at G-town prep:

http://www.cubu-masters.org/content/view/34/8/

They are adding a Sunday practice and Tu/Thur are 5:30-6:30am now instead of 7am.

Hope this helps,

Karly :)

ksdecker44    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 3/03/11 7:26 AM

Hi Abby,

Rockville/Bethesda Swim locations (not listed above, unless I missed them)

Bethesda outdoor pool (50 m lap lanes, open summer months, located on corner of Little Falls Parkway & Hillandale Road, Bethesda, capital crescent is across the street and we have organized practice training tris there in the summer. $195 (summer pass); $4 MOCO resident; $6.50 non-MOCO resident; reduced rates after 5:30pm.

Georgetown Prep: I swim with the Curl Burke team there. Great one hour to hour/half coached workouts/stroke instruction, but you have to register with the team and US Masters to swim with them. ($35 for US Masters Swimming registration; I pay $75 for a 10 swim punch card - and you pay per practice, not bad for coached workouts!

Schedule at G-town prep:

http://www.cubu-masters.org/content/view/34/8/

They are adding a Sunday practice and Tu/Thur are 5:30-6:30am now instead of 7am.

Hope this helps,

Karly :)

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 3/03/11 8:51 AM

A huge thank you to everyone who contributed to this post.

I'm editing this page http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Train.Regularly_Scheduled_Swims to include all the info you have shared. Thanks for helping your fellow club members!!

Is anyone interested in hosting a regular swim at any of these locations? Or, just posting your plans so others can join?

The awesome thing about swimming in pools is: pace doesn't matter. :)

Thank you!!

Abby

aoliveira's ravatar aoliveira    JOINED: 5/12/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 3/03/11 11:52 AM

Thanks for organizing this info for us! I live in MoCo and found lots of useful information. Thanks, Alex.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria