Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

NTP Swim Clinic on SundayLost Diamond from Weddning Ring
CREATED: 04/05/09 by nicholsc REPLIES: 13
nicholsc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
NTP Swim Clinic on SundayLost Diamond from Weddning Ring
POSTED: 4/05/09 1:09 PM

NTP members at the swim clinic on Sunday. While swimming at the CUA pool on Sunday (9 am class) I lost the diamond out of my wedding ring. It's pear shape less than one caret and very precious to me. I am happy to reward the finder. Thanks.

Cherie

HillOE's ravatar HillOE    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 78
RE: NTP Swim Clinic on SundayLost Diamond from Weddning Ring
POSTED: 4/06/09 9:50 AM

Oh no! Did you contact CU? There's a tri club swim tonight from 6:30, you might want to post on the swim practice boards to alert them.

What lane where you in? I'm going tonight so I can ask everyone to take a quick look. sure you lost it in the pool and it didn't snag on your towel or elsewhere?

That's a tough stitch since pools are big and diamonds small and clear. Do you have insurance on it?

LMR6478's ravatar LMR6478    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 4/06/09 10:54 AM

I swim at CUA at lunch time. I'm going over there in about an hour and can ask around for you or take a good look in the lane you were swimming in .

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1063
POSTED: 4/06/09 11:13 AM

I'll email a couple of people over there as well. We'll do our best to try and find it for you!

-Travis

POSTED: 4/06/09 11:24 AM

I'll bring my suba dive light tonight. It's not super bright, but it may be enough to make the diamond give off some reflection, even under water.

The pool might have a dive light that's brighter then mine that we can borrow as well (esp. if they do suba classes).

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 4/06/09 12:47 PM

Wow! That's tough, Cherie.
But talk about a club that turns lemons into lemonade -- looks like it'll be a fun workout tonight of scuba diving for sunken treasure. If it's down there, I'm sure it'll be found now.
Good luck everyone!
-Jason

POSTED: 4/06/09 12:56 PM

And this may be helpful -- find a UV lamp or blacklight you could take underwater. Diamonds can be slightly fluorescent (degree varies with the exact composition of the stone) when excited under UV light (~365 nm), making them show up bluish. No guarantees, but I'd seen it done in chemistry or physics class years ago in a darkened room.
-JK

guinness    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 4/06/09 1:00 PM

Jason, Have you been spending time in my little corner of the ATC with the epi-fluorescent microscope and I don't know it?! :)
Anathea

POSTED: 4/06/09 4:34 PM

OMG You guys are the best. Even if it is not found, this positive support from club members makes me feel a thousand times better. Thanks to all and especially to folks volunteered to look in the pool--LRM6478 and HillOE, to Travis for sending out the word to CU and to Jason for his great tip on the UV light.

Cherie

POSTED: 4/06/09 4:36 PM

What lane were you in!

POSTED: 4/06/09 4:56 PM

As you enter the swim area, I was in the 2nd to last lane and last lane on the right hand side.

POSTED: 4/07/09 7:02 AM

I only had the chance to look in the 2nd lane and I couldn't find my dive lamp (lost to a 6 year old I fear). Nothing, sorry.

The guard said they have someone clean the pool every morning (although it didn't look like they were there mon. morning as the bottom was pretty filthy with cups and such).

I don't think it would have been sucked up into the filter system because of weight, but if they used a pool vac it may get sucked up that way, then you'd need to sort thru the filter basket.

Sorry.

POSTED: 4/07/09 9:35 AM

Thank you so much for all your efforts. Fortunately, it is insured.

Cherie

POSTED: 4/07/09 2:21 PM

Any luck finding it? I'm hoping the silence means someone's at the jewelers getting the stone re-set.

And no, Anathea. Everyone *knows* that a multispectrum analyzer is a way better tool for this than your silly little epi microscope. ;-) (Sorry, felt the need to flex my nerd muscles)

-Jason

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria