Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Fixing carbon fiber damage
CREATED: 01/30/13 by missenghwyoming REPLIES: 3
missenghwyoming    JOINED: 1/9/13    POSTS: 3
Fixing carbon fiber damage
POSTED: 1/30/13 10:09 AM

Does anyone know if you can fix a carbon fiber frame? ie...wrecked bike with about a 1 inch long by 1/4 inch deep gauge on a Trek Speek Concept chainstay. I can't believe that the whole frame is compromised and that there is no way to fix it and not compromise the integrity. Any suggestions short of buying a whole new frame?

ltrocchio    JOINED: 12/2/10    POSTS: 3
RE: Fixing carbon fiber damage
POSTED: 1/30/13 10:51 AM

I took my carbon fiber BMC to the Bicycle Pro Shop on M St in Georgetown since so few shops deal with BMC. They have a guy that works on car repairs but also does carbon fiber bike repairs. I don't know if they will be able to fix your specific issue but he was able to repair a crack in my rear fork no problem. I had been told by other shops that the bike couldn't be repaired and would have to be replaced, so it may be worthwhile to check them out.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 1/30/13 11:25 AM

www.calfeedesign.com does carbon repair to bike. And there are other - http://www.bicycleretailer.com/2012/08/14/mag-crack-problem - that offer similar service. Good luck.

jxjia's ravatar jxjia    JOINED: 8/13/12    POSTS: 94
POSTED: 1/30/13 1:57 PM

Believe it or not, I actually had two carbon fiber bikes repaired by two different shops. In both cases I dealt with local bike builders, but I also heard good things about Calfee and Spyder Composites.

It's not going to be cheap (around $200-$400 depending on whether you want a paint job done or not), but it's probably the cheapest way to salvage the bike.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria