DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Knee pain - should I be worried?
CREATED: 04/06/09 by allisonacs REPLIES: 5
allisonacs    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 8
Knee pain - should I be worried?
POSTED: 4/06/09 12:46 AM

Hey all,
Hoping to get some insight before having to go to a doctor for what I assume will be a big battery of tests.

On Thursday, March 26, I was swimming and doing some breast stroke. On the kick, I noticed that my right knee was feeling a little out of wack, so I stopped doing the breast stroke and just did kicking that's from the hip only (so, free and butterfly).

I swam again on that Friday, and noticed the pain again. So I decided to RICE it, and take off Saturday, and see how I felt Sunday.

Fast forward to today, and my knee is still feeling not 100%.

The pain is generally on the inside of my right knee, but is sometimes on the kneecap as well. It's not intense pain, but more like persistent soreness.

It definitely hurts more in the morning.

I've been RICE-ing, stretching, and in the meantime only doing upperbody work outs and very light running/biking/swimming--nothing hard, and nothing over 20 minutes. (that is, I haven't been able to follow the training plan for over a week now!).

I haven't had a history of knee problems, and the pain is not severe enough for any bones to be broken, or any ligaments or tendons to be torn.

I don't want to go to a doctor (I'm unemployed right now), and have to through a battery of tests just to be told that everything is fine on the x-ray and MRI and I will just have to wait and see.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is it bad train while my knee is acting like this? During my light workouts, the knee doesn't hurt while actually working out--just the next morning.

Hope someone can offer advice or guidance!

Thanks,
Allison

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1786
RE: Knee pain - should I be worried?
POSTED: 4/06/09 6:43 AM

You might try taking a full day or days off between workouts and see if that helps.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 4/06/09 8:47 AM

It is probably not that bad to swim with knee pain, but it's not a good sign if you are biking or running (or any exercising that may impact the lower body). Ed may have it right that you may need to take a rest day in between workouts. The other thing is that you may need a knee band that goes around your leg and just below the knee. That has happened to me with too much exercise impact on my leg.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1786
POSTED: 4/06/09 9:35 AM

Also, if you think the discomfort is related to your breast stroke, have someone knowledgeable about swim technique look at your stroke. Shoulder pain I had was cured by straightening out my crawl.

janemangione    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 4/06/09 10:22 AM

I know you said that your knee started hurting when you were swimming, but that doesn't necessarily mean that this is how you hurt it....I had similar knee pain that hurt even when I just walked and I couldn't figure it out. I bought new running shoes and now my knee pain is gone! You might also need orthodics--you probably overpronate--causing the pain on the inside of the knee--Try going to a running store and have them look at you run if you haven't already done so. Make sure you are stretching thoroughly too--everyday and AFTER every workout--including swimming. Stretch all the muscles around your knee and do a few for your IT bands--that really helped me to.

Good luck!

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 4/06/09 10:53 AM

Pain under or around the kneecap is often "runner's knee" or chondromalacia. It's very common and very fixable if you catch it early. Do a Google search of either of those terms and you'll find a wealth of info. It's basically when the kneecap doesn't glide smoothly due to a weakness or imbalance in your leg muscles. If this is the issue, you shouldn't need expensive medical care - years ago I had this problem really bad and ever since have used a $10 Theraband at home, which has kept my knee healthy.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria