Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

2014 SAT Ride (weekly)
CREATED: 03/02/11 by siehndel REPLIES: 1773
kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 272
RE: 2012 SAT Ride (weekly)
POSTED: 4/10/12 2:35 PM

I'd love to meet some folks who ride my speed, but I can't tell - does 16-19 mph indicate ave overall speed for the entire (however many miles) ride? I am definitely closer to the 16 mph side, especially now that my rides are in the 70-100 mile range.

Out for this weekend but hope to join up one week if some less speedy folks plan to join.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1069
POSTED: 4/11/12 5:17 PM

Sounds like this won't be the week to get the second group going. I'm out of town the following weekend but will help organize through the forum if it helps.

Great to see the interest. I know it's there, it just takes some brave souls to get a good group started.

Joshuaraymond    JOINED: 4/8/12    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 4/11/12 8:11 PM

I'm between a and b and would probably rather ride b (30 to 40 mi) so count another in for a b group leaving somewhere around cap hill or grown if we can get it going.

LizJudge    JOINED: 8/4/11    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 4/12/12 9:46 AM

So how does it work? Does someone just step up and offer to lead the ride week-by-week, or do we need one intrepid leader for all the B group rides? If it's week-by-week, I'm happy to organize a B group ride for this weekend if someone offers to pace us.

POSTED: 4/12/12 9:50 AM

BTW, a few people asking to be added to this B/BB group have posted their info here: http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=32B230EE-E1AB-4F86-59FC954D4042325C&page=3,

POSTED: 4/12/12 10:08 AM

Basically, this ride is ON every weekend. It is safe to assume that, unless otherwise posted, there will be a group lead by me, Eric and some other regulars leaving from 8th and Penn SE at 8:10 for the G-town pick-up at 8:30. We'll never leave G-town before 8:30 but don't count on us being there at 8:31. Occasionally, we'll be a few minutes late from the Hill (for example, last week's ride into the headwind added a few minutes to the trip) but don't count on it. We try to be very prompt.

Posting to the forum with your speed and distance plan is always a great plan to make sure that you have company. The main group will typically average 22+ on the flats with a chase group forming at closer to 20mph. If you are slower than this, I would definitely post until we have a regular group of riders at that speed.

Liz, to your situation, it looks like you and Josh are going to be there this weekend. I would encourage the people on the other thread to start posting to this one to get the updates.

Ultimately, if we have two distinct pace groups out there, I would like to see two separate starts in the interest of safety. When the group is too large, drivers start getting crazy and doing stupid things. So if we start getting two distinct groups I would suggest the 16-19 group departs 10-15 minutes ahead of the 20+ group. That way, we can all meet up together at the BP and regroup for either the return ride or heading out further. I'm just sharing some ideas that Eric and I have discussed for this ride. We don't need to worry about this until we start getting a regular group of 16-19 mph riders.

Liz, you seem to be taking the reigns to lead the second group so if you have any questions, please feel free to message me and we'll get things going. It really only takes one motivated person to get this going and then it will basically run itself

-Travis

POSTED: 4/12/12 10:20 AM

Thanks so much, Travis, for these suggestions and this info. This is great to know. As for the B/BB rides and group, I am good on organizing and posting, but i wouldn't have the slightest clue how to lead a group or pace a group, so I shouldn't pretend! I am truly looking to be a follower. I was under the impression that this B/BB ride would be totally separate from the A/AA ride, so I just wanted to figure out how it works and provide the motivation/call for people to get this group going! If anyone is willing to actually lead the rides, I can help organize the listserve/email group if folks want that.

POSTED: 4/12/12 10:24 AM

And most importantly... I'm in for Saturday. Most likely only going to Great Falls and heading back while trying to hold on the fast pack.

Some notes from the back of the pack last week:

- The group is doing a great job of calling out slowing/stopping/turns and signalling pot holes. Keep that up! If we do miss a pot hole, keep your line over it. Don't hit your brakes and/or swerve. You are better off taking a straight line. Braking swerving will likely only take you and others down. There were a couple of twitchy moments last week. Nothing major, just something to be aware of.

-As we rotate through the pace line, hold a steady speed, i.e., If we are riding along at 22 and you rotate into the front of the pack, don't immediately jump to 24 mph. (ahem, Wes, cough, cough ;-) It sucks taking a long pull and then getting dropped as you rotate away. If you do want to increase the speed, do it gently. And if you are that strong, just stay at the front and pull at 24 while we all suck wind on your wheel.

- If you take the hill down into Great Falls Park, you can continue down past the gatehouse, swing around the circle and then ride out. No need to stop.

It's been a great group riding so far this year. Everyone seems like they didn't lose a beat over the winter. I'm feeling fit and STILL having a hard time keeping up. Thanks for the challenge!

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 4/12/12 11:37 AM

I'll be out Saturday as well, see you all in G'town @ 0830.
Just to reiterate what Travis said, here's a list of guidelines for group riding from a recent USAT clinic that I attended...

• Stay OFF your aerobars unless you are pulling at the front of the pack (main reasoning behind this is that you don't have a way to brake or quickly maneuver from the aero position)
  • Use hand signals or call out obstacles/potholes, etc.
  • Don’t overlap wheels
  • When it’s your turn to pull, don’t accelerate –keep a steady pace
  • Avoid sudden braking
  • If you feel strong, pull longer, not harder
  • If you’re not feeling strong, take short pulls or don’t pull at all
  • Ride as close to the wheel in front of you as you feel safe doing

-Brady

npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 134
POSTED: 4/12/12 11:50 AM

Thanks for all the info. It's good to be joining a group so well organized. As I mentioned, I imagine I'll be in the 16-19 group for a little while. And I've been doing 60+ on my weekend rides, so there is a good chance I will be there from the starting point. With that in mind, I'm comfortable organizing the B group. I'll reiterate though that I'm out of town this weekend and next weekend is up in the air. Should be a regular after that though.

Oh, by the way, my name is Nik.

kawaik    JOINED: 1/7/11    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 4/12/12 1:26 PM

I am planning to join this Saturday in Georgetown assuming there will be the B/BB ride group.

Liz,
Hope to find you at the Georgetown starting point.

Kyoko

SBsteph's ravatar SBsteph    JOINED: 1/24/11    POSTS: 87
POSTED: 4/12/12 2:01 PM

subscribing! i'm out of town this weekend but would like to join the B/BB group in future weeks.

POSTED: 4/12/12 5:10 PM

Ok thanks so much for the info and help, Travis!

I will be there to represent B/BB this saturday -- I'll be a the G-town pickup at 8:30 am. Hopefully there will be a couple/few other B/BB riders there. If not, I'll gladly fall way behind the A group and go at my own pace (afraid without motivation it might be more like a C/C-.)

Liz

slk22's ravatar slk22    JOINED: 1/18/11    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 4/13/12 2:39 PM

This sounds great - count me in for the B/BB rides. I'll be in Gtown tomorrow morning.

sianmooney    JOINED: 3/24/12    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 4/13/12 8:28 PM

I am hoping to join tomorrow and am more suited to the B/BB group. Hope to see some more of you there at the Georgetown meetup.

POSTED: 4/13/12 8:36 PM

Good to see some fresh riders coming out this week. Please, make sure that you are familiar with the route. Details are posted in the first post in this thread. When we roll up to G-town tomorrow I'll take a second and say hello and make sure the new group is comfortable with the ride/route/expectations.

I'm changing plans a little tomorrow. I think I may go longer out to Poolesville at a comfortable (Yes, comfortable) pace. Hopefully some more people are interested in joining for the longer route. I'll try to update the Poolesville route before I crash for the night.

See you at 8:10/8:30.

Travis

POSTED: 4/13/12 8:42 PM

Poolesville Route »

POSTED: 4/13/12 9:04 PM

Also updated the route to the "T" at Seneca including the way out on Norton and Glen.

POSTED: 4/14/12 2:07 PM

Nice ride out to Poolesville today. My legs are cooked.

It was great seeing so many new faces today. I hope the ride went smoothly and that we'll be seeing you and others out there more often. Ed, thanks for coming out and showing people around MacArthur.

I didn't do as good of a job of neutralizing the start to the reservoir as I had hoped. Truth is that most weeks the group takes out pretty quick from Georgetown so today was fairly representative of the ride. If there are any questions, feel free to click my user name and send me a message (after you are logged on).

For the lead group, thanks for bearing with me during my rant at the BP. I think it's important to cater to all levels of the club and I thought today was a good opportunity to do so and was frustrated when we didn't do a very good job of it. Just wanted to share my opinion. Thanks for not pushing me off my bike afterwards.

Travis

bobcroker    JOINED: 4/15/12    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 4/16/12 4:57 PM

Just wanted to offer my thanks to those regular riders that took care of the group of first-timer B/BB riders last weekend. Everyone was helpful, friendly, and understanding. We really appreciated it!

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria