Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

2014 SAT Ride (weekly)
CREATED: 03/02/11 by siehndel REPLIES: 1710
bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: 2013 SAT Ride (weekly)
POSTED: 9/20/13 4:23 PM

If you are going solo, another good way to go is to just take the Capital Crescent trail up to Little Falls Rd, hang a left to go out to Bradley, then take a left down Bradley. Little Falls is one-way street for the last section of that, but there's a path/sidewalk for that 100 yard or so to get you through.

pserfass's ravatar pserfass    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 432
POSTED: 9/20/13 10:54 PM

See you all in the morning. Whatever route we ride I'm planning to leave the hill at 7:10 and see you at 7:30 in Georgetown.

zdesmond    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 42
POSTED: 9/21/13 2:03 PM

For alternate routes:

(1) Wisconsin to Reservoir to MacArthur. Right on Sangamore at top of the hill after Sibley. Take a left on Massachusetts. Right on Goldsboro where Mass Ave dead ends. Left on River. A few miles to the BP

(2) Wisconsin to Reservoir to MacArthur. Right on Wilson. Left on River. Same as above. *This route will have a short distance on the ripped up portion of MacArthur.

(3) Wisconsin to Mass Ave. Left on Mass Ave. Then same with right where Mass Ave dead ends at Goldsboro and left on River.

(4) Do 1 and 3 above. Instead of turning left on River take Goldsboro to Bradley. Bradley turns into Oaklyn where it intersects with River. Oaklyn to Falls. Take a right on Falls. Mile or so to the BP.

(5) Same as (4) above. On Bradley take a right on Kentsdale. There is a traffic light there. Kentsdale dead ends at Newbridge. Take right on Newbridge. Newbridge to Democracy. Left on Democracy and that will take you to Falls. Left on Falls brings you to the BP. Going straight puts you on S. Glen.

(6) Can head out via Rock Creek as Abby suggested. I think it is better to one of the 5 options above and then take Rock Creek back. There are a few different ways to access Rock Creek. If Rock Creek is taking out, to make a loop on the way back in pretty much any of the above routes will work to get the Mass Ave/Goldsboro/Sangamore. If coming back on River from the BP and the traffic is too heavy then turning on Persimmon, Seven Locks, or Wilson will take you back to MacArthur quickly. Just have to deal with X amount of time on the ripped up road.

For Travis's suggestion for Virginia riding, does anyone have ideas? Virginia has some good riding, but hard to get a group to anything that isn't going to involve a lot of trail riding. Maybe some others know some better ways that I am not familiar with.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 9/21/13 10:05 PM

I was probably drinking when I suggested VA. Scratch that... probably too complicated.

I like the idea (4) of heading out MacArthur to Sangamore and then heading up Bradley. These are roads that we all know and riding them in reverse won't cause any major hiccups to the routine.

I do hate the idea of cutting out many of the hills that we've been working in and I'm wondering if we could also head up to Mohican, do that hill over to Mass. Ave. then left on Mass to Goldsboro and continue on with your idea up Bradley? Or go up MacArthur to Walhonding, up the hill, left on Sangamore and then a quick left on Mass. This could be for folks looking for 'bonus' hills.

I can plot out a map sometime this week once we come up with something that works for everyone. I'm out of town this week to visit family but will have plenty of time to put towards finding a good route.

Thanks for all of the ideas, Zach. This is really helpful.

Travis

POSTED: 9/27/13 3:10 PM

Last week, Zach led us on an alternative route going out to MacArthur. We took a right up Sangamore at the light (where we normally go straight and down a short hill to accelerate the ride), left on Massachusetts and then at the bottom of Mass Ave, right on Goldsboro and left on River. River takes you all the way out to the BP. It's hillier and a great ride with a wide shoulder.

At the BO, the rest of the group continued to the T and Zach and I went back via RCP and Beach Drive. The whole ride looked like this:
http://www.strava.com/activities/83875012

Tomorrow, I'll be leaving the hill at 7:10 and will be at Wisc and M at 7:30, hoping to do the same (and maybe reset some of the KOMs). I hope to see a bunch of you out there.

Patrick

POSTED: 9/27/13 3:54 PM

Good news! Myron just reported to me that the paving's done to Sangamore.

That said, as much as I love fresh pavement, for tomorrow, I'd love to still ride the alternate route with a few more hills. I've logged a lot of miles on MacArthur this season and the fresh pavement will give me something to look forward to for the next time.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 9/27/13 4:16 PM

Just to clarify... are you saying the "normal" MacArthur route from the bank to the BP is "open?"

Thanks,
Abby

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 424
POSTED: 10/04/13 2:14 PM

Who's riding tomorrow? I would have loved to get out to Skyline this weekend, but it doesn't look like that'll happen with the shutdown.

Let's stick to the 7:30 AM start from G'town, as I can't believe I'm saying this in October, to beat the heat.

I was on MacArthur yesterday and while some of the bike path has been repaved, the road is still all torn up.

Unless there's any objections, I say we stick to Patrick's route or similar:
http://www.strava.com/activities/83875012

See you all out there,
Brady

zdesmond    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 42
POSTED: 10/04/13 5:15 PM

I'm a maybe for tomorrow, Brady. Not setting an alarm so whatever my body determines is right in the morning.

lewright    JOINED: 5/13/13    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 10/04/13 5:55 PM

Any group B riders tomorrow?

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1739
POSTED: 10/04/13 9:26 PM

I'm looking to ride at a post-season pace to the gas station or T, before heading to the Eastern Shore (unless I go to Sugarloaf Mt.)

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 258
POSTED: 10/05/13 6:48 AM

Starting out in Capitol Hill @ 7:10.

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 186
POSTED: 10/11/13 10:53 PM

Adam and I are planning to roll from M and Wisconsin at 8:30 as long as the rain situation isn't too bad.

POSTED: 10/17/13 11:38 AM

I have been taking this 'off-season' thing way too literally lately. And, unfortunately, have to work this Saturday morning so can't make the ride this week.

How are people feeling about the start time? Is it time to kick it back a bit as daylight is arriving later and temps are dropping? How far do we want to push it... 30 minutes? An hour?

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 424
POSTED: 10/17/13 12:17 PM

I concur (words not heard often lately around here), at least for this week.

Sun up is 7:22 this week and 7:30 next, then we get an hour back the following week, so I'm up for the earlier start until the temps start to plummet a little more.

-Brady

POSTED: 10/17/13 12:22 PM

Fine with me. The earlier time helps me out in the fall, as well. Looking to get back out there soon.

Staying at 7:10/7:30 for a few more weeks. Ride extra hard for me. Hopefully I'll spot some of you this weekend at Army 10.

-Travis

POSTED: 10/17/13 12:59 PM

I've got to make a flight Saturday and in general will always be able to ride longer, the earlier we start. At least for this weekend, I vote keeping the time the same.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1739
POSTED: 10/18/13 8:41 AM

(Always hard to know even what state where that Travis character is currently located. Thought he was still switch-backing in the Grand Canyon. Or perhaps hanging in for another grim hour at the Vegas roulette wheel, after hocking his trusty tuba for cash....)

gcuevas24    JOINED: 10/17/13    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 10/18/13 11:26 AM

Hi,

I'm a new member and looking to join the ride tomorrow moring at 7:10, just wondering how long is the ride and pace? And where in the hill do you guys meet up, thanks?

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 258
POSTED: 10/18/13 1:37 PM

Hey gcuevas24,
All the info you need is in the first post of the thread. See here:

http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=79E0CEC3-B9CE-5A8B-17C84585A092CA21&&page=1

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria