I've usually gotten a bevy of emails about the weekend ride by this point in the week...
Is anyone planning on doing 80 - 90 miles tomorrow? I'm not sure where to go after Poolesville. Any suggestions?
I'll be there, B pace, about 70 miles. Here is one option I am thinking about:
welp, now that the training tri is on sunday, looks like I'm riding tomorrow? I'm a B, probably only heading to the BP if anyone wants a shorter ride.
first time for me to join on a sat ride. Do I just go to the designated time/place in g-town and it will be obvious? Anything I should know?
Yes, it will be obvious. There will be a ton of people standing around with bikes in the parking lot of the bank. Plan to Arrive a couple minutes early just in case, they sometimes roll right on time.
Juan and I (B team) are in for Poolsville (any route will do), meeting in Georgetown (Wisconsin and M sts) at 7:30am, Sat 2014!
I'm planning on riding from the Hill at 7:10.
I'll be on the Hill as well. Just riding ez to the BP or maybe the T.
I'll be at caphill as well. to BP. -alicia
I'll be at Georgetown. To BP, B group!
Great ride today everyone. It was nice to see so many new faces, I hope we can keep up the solid attendance!
Few reminders for all of us, especially as the group gets larger and the season progresses:
- please always know the route, you never know when you might get split up from the group (for any reason). The board will work on posting an updated google map/cue sheet to this post so everyone knows the various Saturday routes and distances. Study them, load them onto your bike computer, print them out...whatever floats your boat (and keeps you on course)!
- buddy up with 1 or more mates who are near your pace and ability level. We may start with 50+ riders but for many reasons the group always becomes smaller as we progress through the ride. Bring a buddy or make some new buddies each week, it's fun!
- know thy skill level. Riding in big groups can be really fun and awesome but also very scary if it's your first few times. If you are new to the group, no worries or shame with easing into group riding by hanging to the back of the group or dropping down to a slower pace sub-group. There will be plenty of Saturday rides to fine tune your skills and become more confident in group riding.
- respect the rules of the road. There is a lot I could post here, in fact the club has posted guidelines in the past about rules of the road (I'll get our newsletter team to include a blurb this week in the weekly newsletter so keep an eye out for the 5/21/14 edition of the NL). Bottom line...we're another form of transportation on the roads, sharing the space with others. Following basic road rules keeps us safe and creates less pissed off drivers who whiz by us.
- practice good riding etiquette and be "visible" to those around you; never assume your fellow riding mates know what your intentions are. If you are going to pass...pass on the left and give 'em a loud "passing on your left". When slowing or stopping use visible hand gestures to signal your intentions and be vocal..."STOPPING". Ride single file when we are on busy roads or traffic is present. Be courteous to drivers who are around us.
- be highly aware of your surroundings. Only you are responsible for you so know who and what is in front of you, to the left or right of you and behind you at all times.
I'm sure there are many more things to think about which others may chime in.
Above all...have fun and meet some of your fellow club members on the Saturday ride (and other club workouts)!
Any B groupers going out on Saturday? I plan to do 100 and would love some company!
Looking to go around 80, maybe out to Beallsville?
If I can't get anyone to go out to Skyline or Mt Weather, I will be in Gtown at 7:30. I can do 70-80...
I'm in for a hammerfest from Capitol Hill to the BP and back. With mountain gate, GF and Mohican.
I'm doing BP and back. I'll stay behind you jbrez so I don't get lost on Mohican again.
@mlgibney - I'm a B rider. I can do 100 with you Sat morning. Out to Poolesvile, then another loop from the T. Leaving from the PNC lot, that's about 98 miles to my door step when I've done it.
I'm planning on 100 Saturday... would prefer to go out to Sugarloaf. -- TJ
I'm in for to the T, then one loop from the T to Bealsville/Poolsville. (75m RT)
-Megan #2 (since the other Megan is doing 100miles - she's #1 fer shure!)
Probably to the T