Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

CO2 cartridges - allowed in airplane carry on?
CREATED: 07/14/09 by amstew REPLIES: 8
amstew    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 11
CO2 cartridges - allowed in airplane carry on?
POSTED: 7/14/09 2:01 PM

Does anyone know whether CO2 cartridges are allowed in an airplane carry on?

Thanks.

ashleynellis1's ravatar ashleynellis1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
RE: CO2 cartridges - allowed in airplane carry on?
POSTED: 7/14/09 2:05 PM

definitely not! i usually ship mine to the hotel or stop at a bike shop once i get there.

jgeldner    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 7/14/09 3:28 PM

yeah - either ship (ground only) or buy once you get where you're going - you're not allowed to check them either
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#9

POSTED: 7/14/09 3:39 PM

I just learned the hard way that they are not allowed in the carry on bags. Security nightmare...

cfudge1    JOINED: 3/4/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 7/14/09 4:24 PM

I've certainly checked a few in in my time. Oops!

no-e-plz's ravatar no-e-plz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 7/14/09 4:36 PM

I've once purchased and then returned CO2 cartridges for a race in SF. We basically rented them.

amcbride    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 40
POSTED: 7/14/09 4:36 PM

Echoing above, definitely not. In fact when checking your bike, pack it carefully, but don't add in non-bike stuff other than clothes to cushion the frame, etc. The less reason TSA has to go into your bike box the better for your $3,000 carbon fiber baby. Pedals in your carry-on can attract a lot of attention. And remember only empty water bottles/ hydration bladders at the checkpoint.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 7/14/09 5:31 PM

I have flown with my bike about 4 times and each time I had CO2 in the saddle bag and never once did they get taken out. While I didn't do it on purpose I certainly didn't remember when I was trying to pack my bike up at the n-th hour before a flight.

I had a ton of foam and bubble wrap around the frame and components as well in addition to nutrition, shoes, helmet, etc. etc. and I think they opened the case once out of the four times I flew with it.

As they said above if you don't want any hassles best to not give them a reason to search or inspect. But if you do by accident leave it in your checked bike box...you might just get off scott free ;)

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/14/09 6:46 PM

real simple, they are not allowed on carry on or checked baggage, etc on a plane. simple as that.

real world = its only illegal if you get caught.

meaning if you get caught (they search your bags or pick it up on xray, etc), well you are on your own and be prepared to say you were a moron and forgot and deal with the consequences.

the choice is yours if you do it get caught post up the story here so that we all can get a laugh, if you get away with it, dont' say a thing and just smile to yourself. lol

that is why the local bike shops charge like $3.00 each for each co2 they know they have a captured audience.

good luck.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria