Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Hains Point road work?
CREATED: 06/16/14 by jennism REPLIES: 5
jennism's ravatar jennism    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 56
Hains Point road work?
POSTED: 6/16/14 1:52 PM

Does anyone know the details of the upcoming road work on Hains Point? I think the signs have said they'll start repaving Buckeye Dr starting next week (?) Does anyone know how long there'll be a traffic disruption and if we would still be able to ride down there while the road work is going on?

-Meaghan

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 539
RE: Hains Point road work?
POSTED: 6/16/14 2:24 PM

I sucked all last week and Holli said they were still working on it this morning. I went up on the sidewalk, wasn't too bad but annoying.
There were/are a few cyclists that would ride the other direction, against traffic. HIGHLY recommend not doing this, it's dangerous and not smart.
It really needed the paving so once done, it's going to be uber nice.

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 202
POSTED: 6/16/14 8:25 PM

Rumor has it that it supposed to be done tomorrow. They were laying and smoothing uber nice black asphalt this morning on 1/2 the road. Having been out there a few times while they've been working on it over the week though, I'd say today was the most disruptive. 1 lane completely shut down so it was the classic construction crew stop one side of traffic let the others go story. Long loop was great until getting back to Buckeye.

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 6/17/14 8:15 AM

The paving was done this morning but the cones were still out I suspect because they had not painted the lines, but cars and bikes were getting through.

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 369
POSTED: 6/17/14 5:39 PM

I'm happy to report that the paving has not deterred the Hains Point duck population. The ducks have been fairly active around Potomac Park early in the morning, as well as making regular appearances in the pool at several Masters Morning Swim Program workouts. They are weak runners... literally just waddling around. I'd say their strength is the swim... they generally prefer kick sets that utilize their webbed feet and don't require them to put their heads underwater, but they have also demonstrated impressive butterfly stroke mechanics, literally flying out of the pool in the middle of a tough set. I have yet to see any of them on a bike, so I'm guessing they're still focusing on aquathlon. Although a triathlon might be in their plans, as they have literally marked their territory in the Nations Triathlon transition area.

I haven't seen any of them make an appearance at a club-wide happy hour yet. I would welcome them to join us there, but rumor has it that they don't care for the Goose Island on tap...

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1773
POSTED: 6/17/14 10:14 PM

That story of Luke's, it's a canard...

...The newly paved HP trail was this evening as firm and smooth as a down pillow, and perfect for biking.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria