Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Kinetic Half Bike Preview
CREATED: 04/22/11 by siehndel REPLIES: 1
siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1069
Kinetic Half Bike Preview
POSTED: 4/22/11 3:24 PM

As you know, Kinetic Half will feature a new bike course this year as a result of road construction on the old course. Here is a preview of the new course I received third hand:

Quick preview of the new course:
More flat than not, and doesn't have the steep ups and downs of the old course, but it some ways I think it is a harder course, in part because it is not as interesting.

It's a lollipop course, with two loops around the lollipop part. The bottom of the lollipop, along Post Oak Rd, is about ten miles long--there is a very long false flat along this section. Both days I rode this same section it was also against the prevailing winds. Between the false flat and the head winds, I can easily see less experienced riders blowing up on this section of the course as they try to mash through it, particularly the second time around.

All in all, the course is probably not that physically challenging for good riders, but I think you have to ride it smart to do well on it.

It's also through scrubby pine, and not scenic at all--which makes a difference to slow riders. Goes through lots of residential, so lots of cars pulling out from driveways. The Post Oak Rd section has a car repair garage and a lumber yard on it, so you're sharing the road with 18 wheelers, tow trucks, lumber trucks, etc., although I have to say they all were very respectful and gave me a wide berth. And a guy along this stretch set his dog on me. :-( Hopefully not an issue on race day.

If you ride it before hand, don't stop at the convenience store at the intersection of Post Oak and Cartharpian. The owner is a jerk and is mean to cyclists. Instead, where Seay deadends into Post Oak, turn left (instead of following course to the right) and there is a little store about 30 yards up. The lady there is really nice--let me bring my bike in the store and cool off for a minute in the AC.

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
RE: Kinetic Half Bike Preview
POSTED: 4/25/11 9:45 AM

Thanks for sharing Travis. I have been wondering for a few weeks what I am getting myself into not knowing the course at all. This gives me a little piece of mind at least having an idea.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria