Registration is NOW OPEN. PeasantMan is a fun Sprint/Oly practice triathlon at Lake Anna State Park, VA that is geared toward new triathletes. The event takes place on Sunday, May 4, 2014. Although not an officially sponsored DCTri Club event, it is put on entirely by members of the club, with 100% of the proceeds going to charity. PeasantMan has no paid staff. Everyone is a DCTri volunteer.
Though literally the entire Lake Anna campground (cabins and tent spots) will be occupied by PeasantMan athletes, the event occurs late enough in the day (9:00 AM) to allow folks to drive to the race the morning of.
Highlights of PeasantMan Include:
1. Last year, of the approximately 300 slots, 95% were taken by members of the DCTri Club, including 90+ NTPers. There were an additional 75 DCTri club volunteers at the event. You will not find a higher ratio/concentration of DCTri Club members/non-DCTri members at any non-club race, anywhere. The entire Lake Anna compound will be filled with familiar DCTri faces. It's about as social as it gets.
2. 130+ DCTri athletes, including those training for Ironman and half IM races attended the buoy and kayak supported open water swim clinic the day prior to the race. Folks can swim around the buoys for up to 2 hours.
3. Organized bike rides, including cue sheets, of the Kinetic Half course, which occurs the following week, the day before PeasantMan for those registered for PeasantMan. For those wishing to ride longer than 56 miles, the organized bike ride will do 2 loops of the Kinetic Half course. Cue sheets will also be provided for those wishing to ride less than 56 miles.
4. BBQ after the bike ride and open water swim activities at Lake Anna
5. Professionally run timing system that you can access live.
6. Instead of stale bagels, the finish line will be lined with free cupcakes for all the athletes.
7. Every penny from your registration fees, minus expenses, are donated to charity. No one on the PeasantMan staff collects a penny. We all do this to give back to the sport and to be a part of a greater cause.
8. Very casual atmosphere. You can mix and match distances without any issues. You can swim the sprint course and bike/run the oly course without any reprecautions
9. No USAT one day license fees of $12 will be imposed
10. Price will increase $5 weekly, starting next Friday. The sooner you register, the cheaper it will be
11. Free racebelts for all newbies/first time triathletes. Free flashlight swag for the veterans
12. Free race pics to download
13. Free bike handling and maintenance clinic the day before the race, for the newbies
14. Wetsuit strippers at your disposal after exiting the swim
15. The entire event is within the compound of Lake Anna. There is very little worries about cars whizzing by at 50 mph.
PeasantMan Registration » Registration Link Click Here
If you have any doubts, please find pictures of last year's event, info, and reviews on the PeasantMan Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/PeasantMan) page.
For any questions, please contact me at (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This was a great event last year and I definitely plan on doing it again this year.
Does the Saturday bike ride go along the course of the Kinetic Half Tri, and the Giant Acorn Tri, which are also held there? (Sounds like it would make for good preparation for those events.)
Thanks for the kind words, Trent.
Ed ... we will be riding the exact route of those two courses. I think we had 50 riders who came out to ride those course last year. We also fed them with a bbq afterward. Pretty big NTP presence also at the clinics also
OK, what about the pre-event raffle? I heard a brand-new bike will be raffled off. Is that true?
We will be raffling a brand new road bike with aerobars.
We are also giving away one used Zoot wetsuit on 2/21/2014 to one lucky NTPer who has already registered for PeasantMan. The wetsuit was a top of the line wetsuit. It was $400 when new.
For those NTPer who has yet to register, make sure that you register before 2/22/2014 so that you are eligible for the wetsuit.
I've just added pictures of PeasantMan NKC. For those of you who are not aware, we have been supporting a race called "PeasantMan NKC" (PeasantMan New Kabul Compound). It's a race that takes place in Kabul, Afghanistan. The event takes place indoors, for obvious reasons. It consists of row, spin bike, and treadmill run.
The participants are U.S. military personnel and civilians currently stationed in Kabul, Afghanistan. It is the brain child of a DC based officer/triathlete, Major David Cheek, established to give our Soldiers in Kabul a diversion from the daily grind of their deployment. Each PeasantMan NKC participant is offered a free slot to PeasantMan Lake Anna once they've returned to the U.S.
PeasantMan NKC occurs on a monthly basis for the past three months. The photo album has pictures of the past three races.
Price increases after today, so register :)
Who puts on the swim clinic, btw? Experienced people? Is it a good clinic for those who are new to open water?
Not sure who did the clinic last year but I do believe that new open water swimmers is the target demographic.
WaveOne will be doing the clinic this year. They are the premier professional open water swimming group in the area. They do all the open water swimming events out of the National Harbor. The man that runs it does marathon swims (26.2 miles) and swim came in 2nd in the swim around Manhattan.
By the way, there are now 52 NTPers who have signed up. Where are the rest of you at? Don't make your first race be the first time that you've had people hitting your an open water swimming environment. Use PeasantMan to get that experience so that you can better prepare yourself for your goal race.
PeasantMan swag for all non-Ntpers this year ... so sign up before the price rises again peeps :)
We have two DCTri-er who have done all 5 PeasantMan. The PeasantMan War Council will be delivering special gift baskets or a ice cream cakes to those two individuals at the Lake Anna the day before the race.
The two individuals are Dena Richardson and Kira Songberg. Thank you ladies :)
All volunteers will also get the flashlight. PeasantMan is the gift that keeps on giving :)
One of you PeasantMan participants will be walking away with this bike. It is a donation from one of our cherished sponsors, Pro Bicycle Shop (http://bicycleproshop.com/). If you haven't signed up yet, do it now :)
Update swag pic, with our logo. This is a very powerful flashlight. You'll never in the dark ever again ... literally and figuratively
It's posted on our facebook page
With special thanks to our cupcake supplier, GotteGris Bakery of Bethesda, the PeasantMan War Council will be taking one for the team by sampling these delicacies tonight. You will see these, in many in array of flavors (including Vegan), 10 feet after crossing the finish line at PeasantMan. Time to sign up folks :)
Swag for the raffle, athlete bags, & tri keeps pouring in: Free entry to a day at Bike Virginia, discount for WaveOne National Harbor swims, gift card at a running store, free flashlights giveaway set, free cupcakes all set....
The Feds are closed. Want something to do on this snow day other than making babies? Sign up for PeasantMan It's fun. It's social. It's like making babies, but without the 18 years of ramifications.