Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

marathon / ultramarathon training
CREATED: 05/26/09 by jjulio8 REPLIES: 17
jjulio8    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 22
marathon / ultramarathon training
POSTED: 5/26/09 10:14 PM

I plan on running two marathons or a marathon + 50 miler within a month of each other this fall. Anyone training for something similar? If so, I'd be interested in training on long run days and/or exchanging training tips, etc. Also, interested in cross-training.

Thank you.

BigRedCoaching's ravatar BigRedCoaching    JOINED: 8/12/09    POSTS: 7
RE: marathon / ultramarathon training
POSTED: 8/19/09 6:02 PM

I am doing Marine Corps (10/25/09) and NYC (11/1/09) marathon this year and I'm trying to put a team together to do Reach the Beach (http://www.rtbrelay.com/) for the fall 2010. Basically, this is a 200 mile race that can be done as a 12 person team (~17 miles each) or a 6 person team (~34 miles each). Right now my schedule allows me to get done my long runs only very early during the week. Any way, if you want to chat just shoot me an email (bigredcoaching@gmail.com).

Happy Training,
Josh

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 8/19/09 7:41 PM

Last year I did MCM and then JFK50, each being about a month apart. I didn't finish MCM, but rocked the 50 - and rocked MCM but sucked at the JFK50 the year prior to that. SO what I'm trying to say is its definitely doable, but I think its hard to do well at both in the same year.

Leading up to MCM last year I did a "normal" marathon build but substituted a 26 mile/6.5 hour run in the mountains for a 20 mile run about 3 weeks out. After MCM - which turned into a hard 18, I think I did a 13/16/10 schedule for my long runs leading up to JFK.

My keys for (mediocre) success were:
Atleast 1 LONG run of 25+ miles on trail
2 or more 20 mile runs
running 6 days/week including hills, tempo, easy

OH, and I'll probably do something ultra-y again this fall too...so let me know if you want to get some long runs in sometime!

Good luck and have fun!

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/19/09 7:57 PM

Hey that Reach the Beach race sounds like a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind jumping in on that.

slashykk    JOINED: 5/31/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 8/19/09 9:38 PM

I'm doing MCM and Philly this year (about a month apart). I was wondering what to do in between, and was thinking of just doing the last month of my MCM training plan pre-philly.

My current plan is treating MCM as an A race and Philly is just for fun. If training isn't going well, I'll take it easy at MCM and try to pwn at Philly. Thanks for the comment about not being able to do both well, that is good for helping me to managing expectations.

I think I'm probably slower than you all, but good luck with your training!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1783
POSTED: 8/19/09 10:41 PM

I've known runners looking to qualify for Boston do mcm while keeping philly as a backup in case they bomb at mcm.

A friend of mine has done jfk and a local 100 miler and is training for another 100 in Minnesota. If you want the contact info of this knowledgeable ultra runner, let me know. Savvyveteran@gmail.com.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 8/20/09 12:16 AM

There are some very good points brought up. I wish to offer my opinion. Although I have never done an ultra, I do have twenty-eight marathons under my belt. You have to determine you A race. You cannot push it through at MCM and expect to come back to JFK with a superb performance. You won't have time to recover. I would use MCM as a workout, line up farther back than you usually do, and run slower than your usual pace. First, you will enjoy the race and second, you will not crush your legs for JFK.

A couple of years ago, I did MCM and was two minutes shy of being BQ. My back up was Jacksonville. Well, I did not take in the factor of weather so I was humbled down there.

Point being is that you need to plan your race schedule well out in advance. Tearing it up in the tune up race will make one look for a disaster.

tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 226
POSTED: 8/20/09 10:09 AM

I'd love to jump in on that Reach the Beach as well!!

Reach the Beach 2010
POSTED: 8/20/09 11:17 AM

For those interested in joining my Reach the Beach (http://www.rtbrelay.com/) team PLEASE do the following:

1. send me an email (bigredcoaching@gmail.com) from your personal/work email account.

2. let me know if you would be interested in being on a 12 person or 6 person team.

3. give me some idea of your current running background / fitness level.

I will send you more information on the race itself and once we have enough people for either a regular team (12 person) or an ULTRA team (6 person) I will let you all know.

Very excited about putting this together.

big red    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 10/09/09 10:16 AM

I just wanted to follow up on reach the beach. Right now I have 3 guys counting myself that are up for forming an Ultra team for Reach the Beach. If anyone is interested please send me an email (bigredcoaching@gmail.com) stating your interest and what team you would be most interested in forming:

$ = 12 person team ~ 16.6 miles
% = Ultra 6 person team ~33 miles
* = Ultra 4 person team ~50 miles

My goal is to have a team set by February with 2 back up runners. Should be a great time.

Happy Training,
Josh

POSTED: 10/09/09 10:19 AM

I just wanted to follow up on reach the beach. Right now I have 3 guys counting myself that are up for forming an Ultra team for Reach the Beach. If anyone is interested please send me an email (bigredcoaching@gmail.com) stating your interest and what team you would be most interested in forming:

$ = 12 person team ~ 16.6 miles
% = Ultra 6 person team ~33 miles
* = Ultra 4 person team ~50 miles

My goal is to have a team set by February with 2 back up runners. Should be a great time.

Happy Training,
Josh

DVenables's ravatar DVenables    JOINED: 3/16/10    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 3/23/10 10:19 PM

I've just moved here from Scotland and looking for an autumn ultra as part of a build up to Marathon de Sable next year, so happy to partner up on training runs - I need to learn the local trails. I've done a couple of ultra's from 54 to 96 miles, so happy to share my tips and experiences. email is dcvenables@hotmail.com

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 708
POSTED: 3/24/10 11:59 AM

Uggh- How do you all log all these miles without injury. I've been battling running injuries since MCM 2006. An unruly case of plantar fasciitis follwed by calf injuries, knee inflmation and now ITB - so frustrating. I've done physical therapy, yoga, chiro - you name it!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1783
POSTED: 3/24/10 12:47 PM

Vibrams? The book is out on them of course, but there's a surge to them among my long-distance runner buds.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 3/24/10 12:55 PM

I think another key element to ultra-running without injury (at least in my limited experience) is doing a lot of the longer running on trails rather than roads. It's a softer surface, you need to work on your strength and balance as you run, and it's just a lot more fun.

POSTED: 3/24/10 4:20 PM

Tips to avoiding injuries...

1. Run every other day.
2. Run on soft surfaces.
3. Change your shoes regularly (every 300-400 miles).
4. Run in the water.
5. Cross train
6. Strength Training / Yoga
7. Stretching
8. Warm up before each workout / cool down as well
9. Have good genetics
10. hydrate well
11. have a good nutrition plan
12. have off days
13. massage
14. Get a coach

If you want to chat more just shoot me an email: bigredcoaching@gmail.com

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 3/24/10 4:35 PM

15. Post-run beers.

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 3/24/10 8:54 PM

16. Learn to run properly. If you're constantly injured, there's probably something wrong with how you're running.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria