DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike to the Beach
CREATED: 06/28/10 by kmwpro REPLIES: 9
kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 270
Bike to the Beach
POSTED: 6/28/10 4:36 PM

Hi guys,
I met Robby Walsh last weekend while I was working at the DC Triathlon and he told me about a ride that he organizes in July. It sounded like something a lot of our members would enjoy, so here are the details from Robby:

Our ride is on July 30th this year and leaves from Gonzaga College High School, next to the US Capitol, and ends in Dewey Beach, DE at a restaurant and bar called Northbeach. We leave at 5:00am and ride from DC to Annapolis. We then load onto buses and our bikes onto trucks for a short ride over the Bay Bridge, then we once again hit the road on bike down 404 to Dewey. We have been doing the ride for years and made it into a charity, century bike event 4 years ago. Last year we had 185 riders and raised $200,000 dollars for Autism research and awareness that was donated to Autism Speaks. This year we hope to continue to grow to 300-400 riders and a fundraising goal of $500,000 dollars. We ask each individual rider to set a personal fundraising goal of $500 dollars. Our rider-registration closes July 10, (although our fundraising efforts continue throgh August.)

Here is the website for more information:
www.biketothebeach.org

Let me know if you have any questions, and I can put you in touch with him. I think they are also looking for volunteers!

ksdecker44    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
RE: Bike to the Beach
POSTED: 6/30/10 10:23 PM

Already signed up :)

Karly

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 975
POSTED: 6/30/10 10:44 PM

Just one question.... how do you get home? :)

ksdecker44    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 7/01/10 7:40 AM

Great question! My friends are getting a beach house in Dewey that following week, so I may link up with one of them and have them drive my car down Saturday.

I think there are going to be many volunteers who are driving down and I had heard there is a bus that brings people/bikes back. Details are pretty limited, I am still working on figuring some of that out! All I know is that I committed to biking 100 miles on July 30th!

I will post something when I figure it out!

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 7/01/10 10:05 AM

Here is what the website says regarding a ride back:
Q: How do you get back from the beach? How does my bike get home?

A: Riders are encouraged to have friends or families meet them at the beach that can drive them home that evening or later in the weekend. Bike to the Beach will provide transportation back to the starting location on Friday evening July 30th for a small fee. Further details will be outlined in the newsletters as we approach the ride. Bikes will be transported on specially outfitted moving vans to a separate storage location, provided by Metropolitan Moving and Storage, to be picked up by individuals.

Coxie19's ravatar Coxie19    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 7/02/10 12:00 PM

Karly
I'm registered also. Should be fun.

Kevin

fets's ravatar fets    JOINED: 8/15/13    POSTS: 36
POSTED: 7/24/14 5:34 AM

I am registered as well and riding with my bike shop. We have a sag and are staying in Dewey until Sunday. So excited for next week and that there are other DC Tri members riding!!!!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1318
POSTED: 7/24/14 6:45 AM

Stephanie ... no doubt that there may be other DCTri folks at this ride, this year. However, you do realize that this thread is from 2010, right? ;)

--Tuan

fets's ravatar fets    JOINED: 8/15/13    POSTS: 36
POSTED: 7/24/14 4:57 PM

Yeah.... that is why you do not forum while you're getting ready for work when you were up late the night before. I was trying to exhibit proper forum etiquette by not starting a thread that was already in process. Fail.

jenniferyager    JOINED: 6/26/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 7/25/14 1:54 PM

I'm doing it!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria