Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Lake McDonnell/Reston Swim 2013, Registration
CREATED: 01/10/13 by mosered REPLIES: 12
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1768
Lake McDonnell/Reston Swim 2013, Registration
POSTED: 1/10/13 4:05 PM

Registration is open for the annual Memorial Day Weekend event, this year on May 25-26, which features 1- and 2-mile swim races:

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1107&smid=4208

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: Lake McDonnell/Reston Swim 2013, Registration
POSTED: 1/11/13 8:17 AM

I'll see you there Ed. I am registered for the 2 miler - no wetsuit :0

Maureen

POSTED: 5/09/13 2:38 PM

Mo--I may be out of town.

But here's more info on the event:

Registration Deadline is May 17th
Register now for the 2013 Lake Swim! The deadline for registration is Friday, May 17th. For online registration and swim info click here:
http://www.restonmasters.com/jmls-lake-swim/event-weekend-timelines/

Zone Championship 1 Mile
Our race has been selected as the Colonies Zone 1 Mile Championship race. So any age group winner of the 1 mile will also be considered a Zone Champ! All the more reason to register today (see above).

Lake Swim Water Temperature
Lake swim water temperature will be kept updated on the website, click here or follow the link: www.restonmasters.com/jmls-temperature-status/

Category I and Category II Swimwear Explained
Since this event is a USMS sanctioned event, we follow their rules. There are two categories of swimwear – Category I and Category II. While these are often described as “non-wetsuit” and “wetsuit”, there are also other important distinctions, namely the amount of coverage. Below is a description so that we avoid any confusion on race day:

Category I
- Textile material – not buoyant and not heat retaining
- Men’s suits - must not extend below the knees or above the navel
- Women’s suits - may be 1 or 2 pieces; must not cover the neck, extend past shoulders, or extend below the knees

Category II
- Material may be buoyant or heat retaining (wetsuits)
- No restriction on coverage - may extend below the knee and cover the neck and shoulders

Please remember that heat retaining swimwear (wetsuits) will not be allowed if water temperature is above 78 degrees, but full body suits will still be permitted. The Meet Referee’s decision on suits and temperature is final.

More complete information concerning open water swimwear is available in section 303.7 of the USMS Rulebook at http://www.usms.org/rules/part3.pdf

Volunteers Are Still Needed
We have a number of volunteer jobs that still need to be filled. Remember – volunteers receive a t-shirt and lunch! There are a wide variety of jobs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This is a great way for friends and family to be involved! We have listed the jobs at Signup Genius. Click here to volunteer for the Lake Swim at Signup Genius or go to http://tinyurl.com/JMLSVolunteer

Still Accepting Sponsors
New this year: Anyone who brings in a new sponsor at or above the $500 level will be entitled to free entry in this year's races. Click here for the Sponsor Request Form . The deadline for sponsors to sign on and be included on the t-shirt is May 14th.

Sponsors
Potomac Valley Masters Swimming | Cassel's Awards and Promotional Products | Bonzai | Swim Spray | Scoggin Home Team Realty | Commonwealth Orthopedics | Simply Elegant | Reston Triathlon | Geonomica | Riptide Swim & Tri | Jimmy's Old Town Tavern | Kiefer | Glory Days Grill | Cardiac Care Associates | Lakeside Inn
Saturday May 25, 2013: Open Water Clinic, 1-mile Practice Swim

8:00 am: Check-in opens
9:30 am: Clinic begins
10:30 am: Briefing for practice swim begins at starting line **
10:45 am: Line-up for practice swim at starting line
11:00 am: Practice swim begins
12:00 pm: Practice swim ends

Sunday, May 26, 2013: 1-mile race, 2-mile race

6:00 am: Check-in opens
7:30 am: Briefing for 1-Mile race begins at starting line **
7:45 am: Line-up for 1-Mile race at starting line
8:00 am: 1-Mile race begins
9:00 am: 1-Mile race ends
9:15 am: Briefing for 2-Mile race at starting line **
9:30 am: Line-up for 2-Mile race at starting line
9:45 am: 2-Mile race begins
11:15 am: 2-Mile race ends
**Swimmers will have an opportunity to remove sweat suits, etc. after the briefing and before they line up at the start.

Jim McDonnell Lake Swims
http://restonmasters.com

vivekk13    JOINED: 1/2/13    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 5/13/13 12:41 PM

Anyone going to this and able to offer a ride? Happy to help with gas/transportation costs.

jxjia's ravatar jxjia    JOINED: 8/13/12    POSTS: 112
POSTED: 5/13/13 3:38 PM

vivekk13:

I'm doing the 2 mile swim and will be driving from the Chevy Chase area on Sunday, May 26th. I can meet you by Tenleytown metro if you still need a ride.

-Johnson

dhops's ravatar dhops    JOINED: 7/12/12    POSTS: 112
POSTED: 5/14/13 8:57 AM

I think I'm going to ride to Reston from DC (Dupont Circle) along the W & OD, since the 2-mile swim starts so late. I think it's about 21 miles or so, each way. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome!

POSTED: 5/15/13 8:20 AM

Hmm. Seems quite rideable if it's not raining. I think I'll get there by bike then unless the weather turns ugly.

Probably won't be joining you but good luck and thanks for the suggestion!

POSTED: 5/15/13 9:16 AM

In past years, many clubbers bricked by riding to the swim. If I'm in town this year, and I did just registered for the 2-mile swim, I'd be interested in doing that.

simba2109's ravatar simba2109    JOINED: 6/23/11    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 5/17/13 5:44 AM

I think Jason and I are in for the 2 mile swim (me probably the 1 mile swim). Where are you planning to put your bike during the swim if you ride out there? We're interested in the ride-swim-ride brick from DC, but are you planning to lock your nice road/tri bike somewhere??

POSTED: 5/17/13 8:25 AM

I'll probably just lock the bike to a tree or a bench. Taking my road bike.

simba2109's ravatar simba2109    JOINED: 6/23/11    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 5/17/13 3:14 PM

We're in for the bike to Reston from DC-swim 2 miles-bike back to DC brick!

dhops's ravatar dhops    JOINED: 7/12/12    POSTS: 112
POSTED: 5/17/13 4:34 PM

Great! If you guys want to meet up in DC and ride together, I'm down! I live in the Dupont Circle/U Street area.

POSTED: 5/17/13 4:38 PM

The bikes could be left at the spot near the race start where we'll all hang out with all the other swimmers - would they be safe there? We could bring the club tent, as has been done in past years.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria