Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Heart rate monitors and bike trainers
CREATED: 11/26/12 by theresaferry1 REPLIES: 6
theresaferry1's ravatar theresaferry1    JOINED: 7/4/11    POSTS: 9
Heart rate monitors and bike trainers
POSTED: 11/26/12 10:48 PM

I signed up for the winter spin training at Freshbikes and saw that heart rate monitors are required. I haven't used one in several years. Any suggestions of a good heart rate monitor to buy? I'm looking for something under $200.

I've also never owned a bike trainer, so any help in that department would be appreciated! Suggestions of what bike trainer to buy? Thanks.

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
RE: Heart rate monitors and bike trainers
POSTED: 11/27/12 10:52 AM

Hi! Do you already own any Garmin devices for running or cycling? Any of those should be compatible with a Garmin HR monitor.

There are plenty of cycling computers out there that are HR compatible, like the Polar CS100 (about $80). It's simple, easy, tracks speed and HR, no bells and whistles. I used the CS100 for a while before I upgrated to the Garmin 310XT, then 910XT.

The Garmin devices (cycling/multisport) are going to be above the $200 range, but are still very useful. My other recommendation would be the Garmin Edge 500 cycling computer (bundle, or buy a strap separately), or getting the 310XT with the bike mount kit and a HR strap.

Garmin and Polar make pretty decent HRM devices, so you won't go wrong with either choice.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
-Trevor

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 11/27/12 3:19 PM

Second on the Polar suggestion. And the great thing about Polar heart rate monitors is that you can use them with most treadmills, as they are compatible.

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 234
POSTED: 11/28/12 7:39 AM

I'm working on getting a discount for Polar stuff to since I used to work for them...just waiting on details...they make wonderful xmas gifts! And yes, as Trevor mentioned, they come in price ranges from $60 up to $XXX. You only need something basic for this class, and for most training you'll do. If you want to really analyze things, then havign a device that captures data and allows for easy download is a nice feature. My experience is that people buy alot of bells and whistles and don't use the capabilities...

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 11/28/12 7:52 AM

FYI - Best Buy up in Tenlytown had a basic female Polar Heart Moniter for $49.99. The only reason why it's female is that it's a smaller face and in a lovely orange sherbert color. This is the cheapest I've seen it.

SBsteph's ravatar SBsteph    JOINED: 1/24/11    POSTS: 80
POSTED: 11/28/12 1:37 PM

I bought the Garmin FR60 for this class last year. It supports HR monitor, cadence sensor, and footpod, and lets you upload data to Garmin Connect. It's pretty much perfect if you don't need (or want to pay for) GPS right now, but may want to upgrade later.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/02/garmin-fr60-review-in-depth.html

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 11/29/12 8:47 AM

I upgraded and have a Garmin 305 for sale. It's compatible with the garmin cadence monitor and footpod (not for sale, but you can buy separately at rei, amazon, etc.) Make me an offer.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria