CREATED: 01/30/10 by dcrainmaker REPLIES: 16
dcrainmaker's ravatar dcrainmaker    JOINED: 3/24/09    POSTS: 18
Washington DC Triathlon
POSTED: 1/30/10 9:27 PM

RE: http://dctri.com/index.html on June 20th

Does anyone know:

1) If there is a cap on participants?

2) What the price will be?

3) Will there be any variant of elite waves (official USAT or otherwise)?

I can't seem to find any of that information unfortuntaely.

One of the primary reasons I'm not doing Nation's this year is the rumored hopes of getting 10,000 participants (which realistically in my opinion can't be supported on this course). Obviously a race opening this late in the year for June makes that somewhat moot, but still interested nonetheless.

Thanks all!
-Ray

carrieacampbell    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
RE: Washington DC Triathlon
POSTED: 1/30/10 10:28 PM

Here is the DC Tri early registration link. I'll forward you the e-mail in a sec.

$175 & yes on the elite. Don't know about the # of participants.

http://dctri.com/register/olympic-early-reg.html

Carrie

tdn9999's ravatar tdn9999    JOINED: 7/16/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 1/31/10 5:34 PM

Does anyone know if they are allowing relays? Got a couple of buddies that want to try the sport out

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 1/31/10 9:46 PM

talk about timining, just 1 week before the philly tri. wonder if this was done to try to compete with the philly tri to eventually take racers away from that race?

ie, like the la triathlon and the nautica malibu triathlon a couple of years ago. lol

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 1/31/10 11:32 PM

Justin, can you not even remember what happened during the weekend of June 19-21, 2009?

The largest contingent of elite triathletes including 18 Olympians converged in Washington, D.C. to race the Dextro Energy Triathlon as part of the ITU's World Championship Series. Oh yeah, there was an age group race (sprint & Olympic) held on the same morning.

Read all about it here:
http://www.examiner.com/x-19867-DC-Triathlon-Examiner~y2009m9d4-Threepeat-for-DCs-ACHIEVE-Triathlon-Camp

http://www.examiner.com/x-19867-DC-Triathlon-Examiner~y2009m9d12-Undefeated-Brownlee-sweeps-Triathlons-World-Championship-Grand-Finale-at-the-Gold-Coast

It happened whether or not Philly was one week after. Maybe, I'm just thinking out loud but ITU trumps Philly Tri. Hopefully, ITU in DC will happen again.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/01/10 9:48 AM

Lisa,

first off i remember perfectly last years race, i was at it.

Second, can you not even remember that after the Dextro ITU race series last year that it was announced that the series and its races were not coming back to North America for 2010.

i'm just thinking out loud here, but i thought the race organization might have a bit of courtesy to other larger races in the region (in this case philly tri) when picking their date for the race this year since the ITU race is NOT happening.

whatever, doesn't matter anyway, at least now people dont' have to sign up for the club championship and can save on hotel and travel and do a closer race to home.

And that is always a good thing.

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 2/01/10 9:59 AM

I think this is the weekend after Eagleman, if I've got my dates right. Not sure I'll be up for more than a sprint by that point, but, personally, I think it's pretty cool that we've now got two legit races in DC...traveling for races is really tough with kids, not to mention the cost of lodging, etc.

Matt

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 2/01/10 11:05 AM

The important thing is that DC is on the Triathlon map big time, with not 1, but 2 big races. That says volumes for a major city hosting 2 big tri's. Also, it doesn't matter about the dates, because the more tri's we have around the more options we get. I like the fact that DC is promoting and expanding it's triathlon races. It's our home and our stomping ground, so we should show support. Either by racing or volunteering. I really doubt it was a ploy to take away racers from a race that is guaranteed to sell out every year, with a great venue. More like a ploy to give racers an option to race yet another great race with a great venue. I know I ma tired of fighting to get in races, with more, I might have to fight a little less. Just my food for thought.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 518
POSTED: 2/02/10 9:33 PM

Yes, it's the week after Eagleman. I'm training for Eagleman too. I decided to sign up for the Washington DC Tri because it's just too tempting to have another tri right here in the city. I won't be at 100% for WDC but I think I should be OK for it. I do know that if I didn't sign up for WDC, I'd be really jealous of watching all the other people racing in town that day.

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 2/02/10 9:46 PM

I'm also doing Eagleman the weekend before - though the sprint is tempting, I think I'll probably end up volunteering for all of the first timer NTPers (I know this is shocking for everyone who knows I rarely pass up a chance to swim in the Potomac)!! Looking forward to it :)

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 2/02/10 9:56 PM

I probably will volunteer as I am doing eagleman the weekend before as for those who want to swim in the Potomac you can sneak in on the Saturday swim practice if they do it

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 2/03/10 11:00 AM

ditto on the kids post! I am signed up for the Oly. Really could not travel to Philly as travelling to Providence in july for 70.3 and can't handle travelling to 2 races with my daugher - not to mention trying to find a babysitter! Will do Eagleman as a relay - I got fingered for the swim -

I am really thrilled that we have two races where I get to sleep in my own bed! So nice.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 2/03/10 11:51 AM

Glad so many people are excited about the race... I hear that registration is going very well.

If you can't race, I know a guy who will be more than happy to help you find a volunteer position for race weekend. Just email me and I'll put you in touch him ;-)

If you can't race or volunteer, come out and spectate. Personally, I think the next step in DC rise as Tri Town USA is to get people out and lining the race course. Invite your friends and let's help make this race a spectacle that people will be excited to come out and watch. Check out some images from the Hamburg ITU race. They are crazy about triathlon over there and we should try and capture some of that excitement here.

-Travis

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 518
POSTED: 2/03/10 12:10 PM

Yes, definitely come out and spectate if you aren't racing or volunteering. And get your friends and family members to show up too. I know that I got a motivational boost from seeing the crowds at last year's Nation's Tri. I was very slow on the swim (bottom 20% of AG) but I did much better on the bike (top 35% of AG). As I raced down Independence Ave. toward the end of the bike leg and passed more cyclists, I got a kick out of hearing a couple kids say, "Wow, that guy's fast." Hey, after my slow swim time, I needed an ego boost.

It was nice to see the crowds on the run too, even if I wasn't going nearly as fast in my AG.

angicarr's ravatar angicarr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 2/18/10 10:11 AM

I would like to sign up for this race, but I would really like to know the participant cap. Does anyone know, or have a way to find out? Nations was pretty miserable last year, and I won't do that again!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1742
POSTED: 2/18/10 11:18 AM

Provides another excuse to prowl the Potomac with a fleet of kayaks for the swim leg. Fun.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 2/18/10 1:34 PM

I'm not quite sure what the cap will be but I do know that this race isn't intended to be anywhere near as large as the Nation's Tri.

If large races aren't your thing, this is definitely the alternative chance to race on the streets of DC.

If the ITU race from last year is an indicator to you, there were ~1,000 participants on a very similar course.

Hope that helps.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria