Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Open Water swim this weekend - 15 May
CREATED: 05/10/10 by caseycreech REPLIES: 58
lizard151    JOINED: 5/8/09    POSTS: 17
RE: Open Water swim this weekend - 15 May
POSTED: 5/14/10 10:21 AM

I can't get the link to the cue sheet or the bike map to work either. Would you mind posting them? Thanks!

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
POSTED: 5/14/10 10:29 AM

the cue sheet works in the email that was sent out a few days ago...
but not the map. heres the cue sheet

http://www.dctriclub.org/uploads//Document1.pdf

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 5/14/10 10:45 AM

Here's the map for the bike.

If you are riding, please make sure to bring a copy of the cue sheet (at the minimum; you might want to put the map on the back side of the sheet just in case).

Also, please look over this post on Group Riding Etiquette, and make sure you bring sufficient water/sports drink/nutrition of your choice (gu, shot bloks, etc.); bring more than you plan on using, just in case. You should have at least two water bottles on your bike. You're also responsible for your own tubes, co2 cartridges, pump, tools, etc.

For the swim, we'll be starting at 9:00 am sharp, so plan to get to the park by 8:45 so you can change in the shower facilities there. Swim wear and goggles at the minimum, and since the water will likely be in the 60s, a wetsuit is recommended, though not required. There is a $5 fee to get into the park, so bring cash. Military members enter for free.

Any questions, get 'em in quick. :)

Will
2010 NTP Co-Leader

rcmagnus's ravatar rcmagnus    JOINED: 1/23/10    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 5/14/10 10:50 AM

how far are we swimming? sorry if this was mentioned somewhere...I couldn't find it.

thanks!
Rachel

POSTED: 5/14/10 11:13 AM

No particular distance; the goal here is to get used to swimming in open water. You should be in the water for about an hour, that'll give us time to talk before and to clean up after for the bike ride.

Will
2010 NTP Co-Leader

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 957
POSTED: 5/14/10 11:23 AM

Also, if you need directions to get to Sandy Point, here is the link to the park map. We'll leave it up to you to figure out the directions on how to get there. :)

Bryan
2010 NTP Co-Leader

getgabby's ravatar getgabby    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 5/14/10 12:01 PM

Hi, I'll be coming from SW DC. If people are still looking for rides, I might be able to offer 1-2 spots, depending on my figuring out how to attach bike rike to new car.
I can be reached at getgabby [at] gmail [dot] com.

A couple questions on the bike map/cue sheet:
- the map has another loop down Pleasant Plains Rd that doesn't show up in the cue sheet. Is this optional?
- is there any difference in route for Sprint folks?

Thanks to the NTP co-leads for organizing!
Gabby

POSTED: 5/14/10 12:35 PM

The plan for the bike is to go out to 1/2 the time you're supposed to ride and then turn around to head back. So for Sprint that's 1:30 (turn around at 45 min) and Olympic it's 1:45 (turn around at ~53 min). Otherwise the route is the same for both.

You may do the Pleasant Plains Road loop if you choose, but I think it'll be easier to follow the cue sheet which, as you note, doesn't include that loop. Most people will have the text cue sheet out, so follow that as the default. Sorry for any confusion.

Will
2010 NTP Co-leader

svbrescia's ravatar svbrescia    JOINED: 10/14/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 5/14/10 6:52 PM

Didn't notice this till now. I'll be there for the swim and hopefully lunch. I'll probably do a light jog instead of the bike.

neisha101's ravatar neisha101    JOINED: 1/7/10    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 5/15/10 4:03 PM

Awesome swim clinic DC Tri! Really great experience for my first time in open water. I hope everyone had a good time. Thanks so much to all the volunteers too! You guys rock.

Neisha

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1751
POSTED: 5/15/10 5:54 PM

Dramatic open-water rescue. Novice swimmer Ty-ree (sp?) couldn't breathe, thrashed about, cried out repeatedly, "Help!" Volunteer Glenn Elliott swam over, grabbed ahold of him and, lifeguard-like, towed the fellow back toward the shore and safety. Both went on to do the bike brick.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 957
POSTED: 5/15/10 10:56 PM

A BIG NTP thank you to Simon, Tammy and Amanda for helping out with the OWS clinic. They put on a great clinic for the open water swimming. Great details and great exercises for the crew to perform. We had a much bigger group than I was anticipating!

Also a BIG NTP thank you to all the volunteers for coming out today and being human buoys. Thanks for braving the chilly waters. You all were perfect. Couldn't ask for better buoys. :)

Bryan
2010 NTP Co-Leader

ellenaj    JOINED: 1/19/10    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 5/16/10 8:36 AM

Indeed! Thanks so much for the instructing, human buoying, and life saving! All well worth the plunge. Looking forward to the next one...Janelle

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 5/16/10 5:34 PM

Thank you volunteers! We couldn't have done it without you!

Tammy

Karbu2    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 5/16/10 8:16 PM

First, I'd like to tofu back (since I don't eat pork) on all of the previous comments regarding the structure, patience and organization that took place during the OWS at Sandy Point.

But, more importantly than that I'd like to give a HUGE shout out to my personal Guarding Angel. Some of you know him by the name Glenn.

Hey buddy, after thinking about how quickly you responded to my call out for HELP, one of my favorite gospel songs came to mind. It's entitled "NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE IT WITHOUT YOU".

Again big Kudos to Simon, Tammy, Bryan, Amanda, Will and all the volutneers that participated in the clinic.

JAHI

ctackett    JOINED: 2/4/10    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 5/16/10 9:14 PM

Yes, thank you co leaders and volunteers for a great day! Big thanks to the swim freak out group volunteers (especially my personal spotter Amanda). You guys did a phenomenal job making us feel more comfortable in the water. Also, thanks to the two super nice guys who found me asking for directions during the ride and led me back safely. Being brand new to this sport, I really appreciate all the attention and thought everyone puts into helping out the NTPers.

Christina

ducke's ravatar ducke    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 91
POSTED: 5/17/10 6:35 AM

JAHI,
Glad I could be there, keep in mind I had to get the thumbs up or down from that woman at shore. You know who she is.
Take care see you around.

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 172
POSTED: 5/17/10 9:03 AM

After that humbling OWS experience for me this weekend, anyone else interested in the Wave One OWS next Sunday? Joyce

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 5/18/10 2:32 PM

Very strong group; it is our honor to help with the next generation of DC Tri Clubbers. Thanks for the 'education' on the bike ride. Volunteers rocked - thanks for putting up with our shouts. See ya somewhere on the courses.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria