Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

OWS Events for 2013
CREATED: 09/13/12 by Pescalita REPLIES: 8
Pescalita    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 30
OWS Events for 2013
POSTED: 9/13/12 11:07 AM

I've come to the realizationt that I really love OWS-ing. Anybody know of any good events that I can add to my race calendar next year? I do not have a swimming background, so something that is not terribly competitive to start would be good.
Thanks!
Jen

spleary's ravatar spleary    JOINED: 8/17/10    POSTS: 73
RE: OWS Events for 2013
POSTED: 9/13/12 11:37 AM

Jim McDonnel Lake Swims in May. This year they had a 1, 2 and 3.1 mile race, over the course of two days.

You'll find some smoking fast swimmers here, but you'll also find lots of us slow triathletes, trying to "fake it" as legit swimmers. Great races.

http://www.restonmasters.org/jmls/

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
POSTED: 9/13/12 11:47 AM

Define good events. Are you looking for race type atmosphere where you get splits? Or, are you looking for OWS that is supported by bouys and kayakers but without a timing system?

For example, the Reston Tri has an OWS every year where you pay $20 to swim in a private lake. Some are there to get in a practice swim before the race the following day. Some are there for the fun of it. You don't get time.

At the same lake, but at a different time, there is the Jim McDonnell lake swims. You get a timing split, but it also costs a whole lot more.

There is of course the PeasantMan swim <--- shameless plug alert -- at Lake Anna on May 4th. It's fully supported with bouys and kayakers. We throw a bunch of people in the lake at the same time and watch them scream. Afterward, there is a picnic. We had about 150 DCTri folks there last year to go along with 1 non-DCTri person.

Tuan

Pescalita    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 9/13/12 12:07 PM

Thanks Tuan,
I was actually one of those 150 DCTri folk this past year. First OWS ever actually, so you can lay claim to the start of this new obsession of mine. I'll be back next year!
I'm looking more for race type events, but definitely like opportunities to just get out there, especially given the cost of most OWS events I see. I've done SandyPoint and Lake Anna a half dozen times this year, and will probably add WaveOne's Thursday HH swims to my roster next year. Basically, I'd prefer to be in a lake or ocean over a pool any day.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 9/13/12 12:33 PM

Ditto on the Jim McDonnel swim. I did the 5K this year. I did get smoked by the "real" swimmers, but I had a good time. And Ed Moser was there - so I wasn't the only triathlete from DC Tri getting smoked (Sorry Ed). Plus it is local.

Peasantman is GREAT - not just because Tuan is there, but I am there as well. Last year my daughter and I monitored the swim folks on our paddle boards. We'll be back this year.

Also there are some OWS in MD not too far away - just do a Google search. I considered one, but it was near Kent Island - just a nudge too far for me to do on an up and back AM.

Sandy Point is fun as well, but late season the Jellies come and I hate jellyfish more than Marlin & Dory in Finding Nemo.

POSTED: 9/13/12 12:46 PM

Swim4Life in Baltimore ... 1-5 miles.

http://www.swimdcac.org/DCAC/swimforlife/Home.html

Tuan

POSTED: 9/13/12 12:52 PM

There is also the Bay Swim. They have a 4.4 miles swim as well as a 1 mile swim. The 1 mile swim is not on their web page yet, but they do have it.

http://www.bayswim.com/

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 9/13/12 1:22 PM

What I want to know is: how the heck does Tuan know about all these swimming events?

POSTED: 9/13/12 1:25 PM

Keep your friends close, keep you enemies closer :)

Tuan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria