DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Need Advice - First HIM
CREATED: 01/14/11 by kimberrankin REPLIES: 5
kimberrankin    JOINED: 8/30/09    POSTS: 18
Need Advice - First HIM
POSTED: 1/14/11 12:26 PM

Hi,
I'm doing my first HIM and am signed up for the training program. My quandry is I don't know if I should do Kinetic or Musselman. Kinetic has a lot of appeal because it's close and is earlier on the calendar. Any advice appreciated!
Thanks,
Kimberly

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 454
RE: Need Advice - First HIM
POSTED: 1/14/11 1:12 PM

Kinetic is early in the season. If you are willing to ride during the colder months, then you should be fine. Otherwise Musselman is in July which gives you plenty of time to ride during the summer.

kimberrankin    JOINED: 8/30/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 1/14/11 3:11 PM

Thx. I'm trying to determine which course is easier for a first timer.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 1/14/11 3:27 PM

the july race is probably better for a first timer.

only because you have more time to ramp up your training and also get more distance workouts in.

this will allow you more time to get in longer workouts and change round your workouts schedule and not have it affect your race day fitness in case something unforseen happens in life, ie, you have to go on a business trip, foul weather for outdoor rides, etc

the main benefit of the later race is that you are racing and training in hopefully warmer weather for longer, and you will have more time to build up your mental confidence in your fitness.

good luck

ps. just saw you mentioned course being eaier or harder, have no input on that. but even if the later course was a more difficult course i would still say go with the later date as all HIM are tough even if they are flat. ask anyone that has done Eagleman if that is an easy course even though its board flat.

ktuinstra's ravatar ktuinstra    JOINED: 5/4/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 1/14/11 4:08 PM

Kimberly- I recently signed up for my first HIM in July. I'm unable to do a training program. It would be great to do some training rides together if you're interested. -Kristine

novasupra's ravatar novasupra    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 70
POSTED: 1/14/11 10:06 PM

Go for Musselman, it's supposed to be a great race, people always have good things to say about the race and the athlete support.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria