Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Sleeveless or full-sleeved wetsuit for Eagleman
CREATED: 05/11/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 6
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
Sleeveless or full-sleeved wetsuit for Eagleman
POSTED: 5/11/10 12:50 AM

I know the answer could depend on the weather that weekend but in previous years, what have people been more comfortable with at Eagleman, sleeveless or full-sleeved wetsuits?

I only have a sleeveless wetsuit so I'd like to know if it would be worth getting a full-sleeved wetsuit. I was a little cold in the sleeveless last September at the Nation's Tri, but that was in the fall.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
RE: Sleeveless or full-sleeved wetsuit for Eagleman
POSTED: 5/11/10 7:09 AM

The water is typically very warm by Eagleman. So you should be fine with a sleeveless wetsuit. Probably the best reason to use a full wetsuit is protection against the jellyfish and sea nettles!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1263
POSTED: 5/11/10 7:11 AM

I would be more concerned with the jellyfish since they were a bit plentiful last year ... more so during the practice day before but some during the race.

Temperature wise, I was comfy in my full batman suit.

carrollea's ravatar carrollea    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 24
POSTED: 5/11/10 8:13 AM

Last year the water was quite warm - I didn't wear a wetsuit at all and was fine. So, I would wear a sleeveless unless we have more cool and/or rainy weather. You can always take both and get in the water on Saturday, see what it's like and decide then.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 5/11/10 5:49 PM

Thanks for the replies.

If the main concern is with jellyfish, then maybe I might look into those separate neoprene arm covers. Some people told me that they don't work as well as wearing a full wetsuit because some water will leak in through the arm holes, but they should offer protection against stray jellyfish.

Has anyone tried them out?

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 196
POSTED: 5/11/10 7:04 PM

Come on, PotomacTriathlete2009, don't hate on the jellyfish. They're just floating along, minding their own business.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 5/11/10 9:05 PM

You definitely will be fine with a sleeveless wetsuit. Two years ago, I swam the race without a wetsuit because the air temps eventually reached the high 90s and I wanted to prevent myself from overheating (actually, I just delayed it). This past weekend I swam in the Kinetic Half with a sleeveless and I felt great with water temps in the low 70s. Then again, I have been swimming at Sandy Point with a full length suit 3-4 times already this year. Some have called me a polar bear for that.

Honestly, you'll be fine.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria