Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

bike shop recommendations
CREATED: 02/12/14 by troppy_a REPLIES: 3
troppy_a    JOINED: 2/7/14    POSTS: 19
bike shop recommendations
POSTED: 2/12/14 11:13 AM

I'm in the market for my first tri bike for an upcoming HIM. I've heard good things about Tri360 in arlington. Any other recommendations?

any recommendations on brand and model? I'm thinking Felt s32.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
RE: bike shop recommendations
POSTED: 2/12/14 12:37 PM

If you are looking for Felt bikes, Tri Bonzai has the biggest selection of Felt bikes in the area. Seeing the full Felt lineup right next to each other that you can test out might give you an idea of what you are getting/missing by purchasing one over the other. Tri Bonzai also has a pretty good collection of Cervelo.

Revolution Cycles has a collection of Felt bikes, but on a smaller scale.

Best thing to do for yourself is to get a fit first. The fitter will then be able to tell you the range of bikes that works best for your fit coordinates and riding style. From that list, you should be able to narrow down the few that are in your price range. After the purchase, no matter where you got the bike from, you will be able to bring the bike back to the fitter to get it dialed in ... for free.

Don't be a slave to name brand name. The best brand/model is the one that best fits you. At the price point of the s32, you should be able to get a quality bike, no matter the brand.

For what it's worth, I have a 6 year old Felt s32 that I train regularly on during the work week. That bike has seen many torrential downpours, freezing cold, and blazing heat/sun over the years. It's a quality entry level tri bike and a good bang for the buck for what it comes with.

I also currently own a Felt DA and have owned a Felt BR2Pro. The Felt s32 will give you a better bang for the buck vs the DA and BR2Pro. The two later ones are luxury items. They are a little bit faster than the s32, but not enough to justify the big price difference. One does not buy those for speed alone :)

The s32 is all aluminum, except for the fork. This means that if you are involved in a bad crash, like I have on it, the risk of cracking the frame is not as high as a full carbon bike. The higher end bikes that's all carbon, like the BR2Pro, if you crash, you'll end up looking for a frame replacement in the form of a DA :)

--Tuan

Tri360Kate    JOINED: 3/22/13    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 2/12/14 4:56 PM

Hi Arup,

I'm Kate, half of the ownership of Tri360. Yes, definitely swing by! We would love to help you out! Taking on a HIM is a huge accomplishment!

You mentioned the S32, which we stock, but you should also know we have the full lineup from Felt, Orbea and Argon18 for triathlon. We'll make sure you're on the right frame (size and brand) for your body type -- as Tuan mentioned, you want to make sure you're on the right bike for you.

Look forward to seeing you soon! In the meantime, let me know if we can answer any questions you might have.

Best,
Kate

MarkZ's ravatar MarkZ    JOINED: 11/13/12    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 2/14/14 8:57 AM

Gonna Agree with Tuan on this one, and that doesn't happen often. Bike brands are bike brands. They have their own little tweeks to them, none of whic are gonna actually make you fast. The only thing that will do that, is you, cause you can only buy so much speed. Find out which one fits you the best. Don't be a drone and ride a certain bike, because everyone else is riding it. Ride the best one that FITS YOU, whatever brand that is.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria