Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

May 15 Du Training / Bike Question
CREATED: 05/11/10 by zoom2zoom REPLIES: 9
zoom2zoom's ravatar zoom2zoom    JOINED: 5/5/10    POSTS: 72
May 15 Du Training / Bike Question
POSTED: 5/11/10 8:11 AM

I am new to this sport – with my only race at the National Duathlon in Richmond, I was riding my road bike (BH Speedrom) at the time and I noticed that most riders where riding TT bike, thus, I recently purchased a Cervelo P3SL and just arrived last night and still have not had the chance to test out the bike.

i will probably able to do a few miles this week to test ride.

I signed up for the duathlon training this weekend May 15, and I am not sure which bike I should use? May I ask if this ‘training’ session is very competitive or can I use this event as a way to test out my bike?

How many participant will be at this event? And what is all of your avg total time?

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 236
RE: May 15 Du Training / Bike Question
POSTED: 5/11/10 8:57 AM

You'll be significantly faster on the TT bike, especially since you just releaved your wallet of $3500 (assuming cash vs credit). Each bill (regardless of value) weighs about 1 gram. Being as the highest value currency is circulation is currently the $100 bill, thats could be a minimum of 350 grams. Which is a bit more than the weight difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace. Now, if you combine the weight of the spent money, upgrading your components, throw in an aero helmet and some aero wheels (for more money/weight savings) and a good fit, and you can see the gains.

Honestly, the answer depends on how comfortable you are on each bike. If its your first time riding aero bars, then you probably don't want to be riding them in a competitive atmosphere yet. The event is as competitive as you want to make it. I believe in the last practice du we had people in the sub 6min range for the 5k's, and other people in the sub 9min range. Bike splits from 26mph down to 15mph. The results are up on the website if you want to check those out. In the end, you're competing against yourself, and the clock. Certainly will be people out there keeping you honest though! See you out there!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 5/11/10 9:09 AM

The training duathlons are just that, "training" so I encourage people to treat them that way. I look at them as a way to do a test run of how to handle everything is a race. If you are concerned about using your TT bike, you may want to head down to HP and give it a trial run sometime before Saturday.

And to me, the main idea of the duathlon is the BBQ afterwards. -Hugh

enduro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 5/11/10 9:10 AM

Give it a try beforehand and if nothing else grab the outer brake handles instead of trying to stay in a tuck every second of the race. Although it is a good environment for trying out race tactics it is not a closed course. There are cars and runners and people with dogs that have as much right to be there as us. So always ride and race as safely as possible. Heck even though it would be adding a couple of grams I encourage people to race with a tiny bell that lets me alert people to where I am especially when I'm coming up quickly on a pass. Have fun.

zoom2zoom's ravatar zoom2zoom    JOINED: 5/5/10    POSTS: 72
POSTED: 5/11/10 9:16 AM

thank you for your advice.. . though i am much more comfortable with the road bike, i would really like to try out the the TT this weekend, but just not sure if i would be making a 'fool' or kill of myself. And i have Zipps delivering today for this bike.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 5/11/10 9:17 AM

I was one of the slow people in the last training du and it was the first time I rode my new P2 outdoors. The first loop I did not ride aero. On the subsequent loops I rode aero on the east side of the park/395 (had only ridden aero on trainer before). Once I crossed under 395 and was in the west side of the park, I sat up so I could better control my bike and dodge traffic/cherry blossom tourists/etc.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 5/11/10 9:24 AM

If you've ridden aerobars before, I'd bring the TT bike and see how it goes. These races are really casual (for most) and after the run they get pretty spread out so I wouldn't worry about it. Just approach it as a practice, don't be too aggressive (may be worth keeping the Zipps off to reinforce the fact that this is a practice for you).

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 236
POSTED: 5/11/10 9:35 AM

And just FYI, Richmond is a beast that brings in the best talent from across the US. The transition area looked more like a bike show with the equipment there.

I was joking about the aero wheels, however, the marketing departments apparently have done a good job as well as you've now just made a substantial investment. Hope it pays off, only one way to find out. Ride em' if you got em'.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 5/11/10 11:27 AM

i would try the biek out a few times this week on your own before doing the "training" race. so that you can get used to the bike and such before trying to go all out on it.

get used to the bike and position and such this week, like today, since its going to rain the rest of the week.

its importatnt tha tyou get used to how the bike turns/stops, etc and how your body movement affects turning/stopping, etc. this should all be done with you doing this without many people around you so that if you mess up you don't hurt anyone else.

aftearll the most important thing on race day is NOT your safety but the safety of OTHERS around you during the race and in turn they will do the same to provide you with a safe environment to race.

good luck and enjoy the new bike, its a great bike.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 5/11/10 9:47 PM

The first time I rode my tri-bike (several years back now) was at one of our training duathlons. It's a great environment that's designed to help you practice in a race-simulation atmosphere. Obviously, safety should be your number one concern but using your best judgment about when to be in the aerobars and when to be on the bull horns will keep you safe and help you get used to your new toy.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria