Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Open Water Swims near DC
CREATED: 05/11/10 by rich1422 REPLIES: 4
rich1422's ravatar rich1422    JOINED: 12/5/09    POSTS: 16
Open Water Swims near DC
POSTED: 5/11/10 8:22 AM

Can someone please direct me to an area for open water swims that is close to DC. Since it is summer I'd like to practice in the elements instead of in a pool.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
RE: Open Water Swims near DC
POSTED: 5/11/10 10:04 AM

There are only two places that are open to the public that you can go any time that you want. Those are Sandy Point in Annapolis and Lake Anna in Spotsylvania, Va.

There also also some swim clinics that occur at Gunston Mannor but that is on private property. There is also Lake Audubon in Reston but that's only opened a few times a year for clinics/races.

LaurenB82    JOINED: 4/20/10    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 5/11/10 10:53 AM

Also check out Gunpowder Falls State Park north of Baltimore. The BATC does practice tris up there.

pmparker's ravatar pmparker    JOINED: 5/13/10    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 5/13/10 10:28 PM

I am new to the area (Fairfax) and this is exactly the information I was looking for- somewhere to open-water swim. Thanks for the info!

Matt

pmparker's ravatar pmparker    JOINED: 5/13/10    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 5/16/10 4:05 PM

OK- how about open water swims where your dog is allowed on the facility grounds??? Very disappointed that I drove over an hour to Sandy Point to try out my new wetsuit and wasnt even allowed in the park because I had my dog with me! Is swimming allowed in the Potomac anywhere?

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria