Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Stress Fracture?
CREATED: 04/24/11 by Andre REPLIES: 2
Andre's ravatar Andre    JOINED: 4/8/11    POSTS: 50
Stress Fracture?
POSTED: 4/24/11 8:20 AM

I've got a foot injury I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. My first thought was it was a stress fracture but after some basic internet research, I'm not so sure.

The area in questions is on the inside of my left foot - the lower portion of my 1st metatarsal bone. The injury won't hurt on a day to day basis but if I go for a long run, it gets pretty aggravated. The first mile or two are difficult but then the foot loosens up and I'm fine throughout the remainder of the run.

Yesterday I ran 16 miles with no trouble. Today I'm hobbling around like a cripple. I

Its my understanding that stress fractures get worse during the actual run and often prevent you from running any distance. This doesn't seem to be the case for me so I'm wondering if I might have different issue?

I will seek proper medical advice but was hoping some DCTRI members could lob a few diagnoses at my so I can be educated about potential issues so I have some background when I speak to my doctor.

Also, should I be looking for a podiatrist or orthopedist? Anyone got one they like in the DC area?

Thanks

shall825    JOINED: 5/7/10    POSTS: 3
RE: Stress Fracture?
POSTED: 4/24/11 1:19 PM

I just got over a stress fracture in my foot and could not even walk without pain for the first couple of weeks so it sounds like something else. I saw Dr. Pributt.

laineym3's ravatar laineym3    JOINED: 7/2/10    POSTS: 122
RE: Stress Fracture?
POSTED: 4/24/11 1:19 PM

I get foot (and hip) pain here and there... it's the biggest thorn in my side in getting my run faster.

A lot of my foot pain went away after getting specially made running orthodics (I over pronate) from my podiatrist and getting fitted properly for running shoes. The over pronation causes more stress to the inside of your foot and causing other parts of your foot to compensate.

I'm not doctor, but I hope that helps... I'm still trying to trouble shoot hip issues with my PT...
Elaine

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria