Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Being last
CREATED: 05/28/09 by catgold REPLIES: 14
catgold's ravatar catgold    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 87
Being last
POSTED: 5/28/09 11:13 AM

Many of you know Holly, who is a fellow triathlete and founder of the "Cancer to 5k" program.

With her permission, I am posting a link to her most recent blog posting entitled "Thinking about LAST." Very well done and a reminder that the sport is not just for those that are at the front of the pack.

http://triandbehappy.blogspot.com/2009/05/thinking-about-last.html

Enjoy!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1266
RE: Being last
POSTED: 5/28/09 12:19 PM

"Ironman has always been about finishing what you started. About being able to do what you set out to do ... maybe not as fast the person in front of you but certainly faster than the person who never started" -- Ironman Video

Tuan

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 5/28/09 12:50 PM

Cat - thanks for sharing. I LOVE IT!! I think this was my favorite line: "...FIRST and LAST both cross the SAME FINISH LINE!"

I had a good laugh about her comment about having weight on your side on the descents on the bike. All those who have ridden with me know this is my only saving grace when riding hills! :::^b::

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 6/12/09 1:03 PM

holly is awesome.

POSTED: 6/12/09 1:18 PM

She is, isn't she. :)

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 239
POSTED: 6/12/09 1:26 PM

tremendous!
just the inspiration I needed heading into Sunday!
thanks for the link!

POSTED: 6/12/09 1:42 PM

ahem...right, Becky (you little speed demon).

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 6/12/09 3:38 PM

Bravo.. Well said. That is why no matter what race I do, if I bonk or I tweek something. I will slow down, walk or do what ever it takes to cross the finish line. Cause it is the culmination to hit the finish line, but the journey is what makes it all worth it.

POSTED: 6/12/09 3:40 PM

amen, halleluiah. may we always remember this!

taxmuffin    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 6/12/09 5:58 PM

Love it! I am usually last (literally), but I am proud.

briank's ravatar briank    JOINED: 6/15/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 6/15/09 2:38 PM

I think it's humbling to read posts like that. That's why I always wait till the end of the race and cheer on everyone who finishes....

POSTED: 6/15/09 2:56 PM

and i really appreciate you (and everyone else!) waiting! you have no idea how much it means. :)

jeanne

toma's ravatar toma    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
RE: last
POSTED: 6/15/09 6:34 PM

Just check number 690 at Eagleman. But I am so happy I am going to sprout wings on my bike for the next one, my goal HIM in November.

The Dc Tri club folks were great and in fact I'd say no less than three dozen folks gave me encouragement... Had my gear on....

It helped that it was a beatiful day but that doggone head wind.

Well first time means PR regardless... Michelle I'm back on the HIP bike training

I'd rather Tri for 8 hours than work anyday.... but 6 would be nicer :)

Toma

smakane's ravatar smakane    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 6/15/09 10:37 PM

Reading that particular blog reminded me exactly how I felt before my first Olympic triathlon...and it is a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time-- until my first half-iron...Eagleman. I thought long and hard after my left knee was scoped three weeks ago about racing...and sad to admit, most of my thoughts centered around finishing last. But I had worked too hard and long...and wanted to complete this race too bad to at least not tri...

My swim yesterday wasn't horrible... could have been better, but I was out of the water relatively unharmed by the jellyfish and ready to attack the bike. Whoa...it felt great...better than I had hoped or imagined. No longer was I just thinking of finishing, but I started to play with some possible finishing times. How hard could I push my knees on the run? Well, that question was quickly answered at approx. mile 52.5 on the bike when an ambulance responding to a collapsed runner combined with a tight turn, gravel and an over anxious fellow triathlete who didn't want to listen to the slow down calls from volunteers decided to pass on my right... resulting in a crash with scrapes, blood and an apparent broken wrist. Suddenly, my finishing last demons made a return... but thankfully so did the voices that reminded me about my simple desire to finish. After fixing my bike, the ride back to transition was miserable... yes, I was that foolio who looked like I was out for a causal ride instead of pounding hard to the dismount--- but I was cheered on by countless DC tri folks. The race director asked me as I came in about what I was going to do about my wrist... and I said I had 13.1 miles to decide. After the most painful T2 I've ever had, I headed out on what would be the most difficult 13.1 miles I've traveled- both physically and mentally. After walk/running the first mile, I began slowly running the next 4 miles, but this was miserable because of my wrist and my increasingly painful right knee. So the remaining 8.1 miles was spent walking with an occasional jog... and recalling the post on Being Last-- the finish line I would cross would indeed be the same as the one crossed by pros hours ago.

I didn't finish that much ahead of #690... but I did finish. The cheers and fan support seemed as loud as if I was finishing first and heading to Kona. Hours in the ER and officially learning I have a 'severe' (all breaks of bones seem kinda severe to me, but I'm no MD), the shine of my 70.3 finisher medal hasn't lessened... and I am confidant the same is true for #690 as well.

-Shannon

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 6/16/09 8:55 AM

As I sit at my desk, contemplating an application of Tiger Balm (or, Balm of the Tiger as I like to call it) to take my mind off the ache of my muscles from my last brick before my first Olympic this weekend, I gotta say... that totally pumped me up!

I am not the fastest swimmer, and the thought of spending one minute longer than necessary in the Potomac makes me a little queasy. What I know I need to focus on is "Hey! I'm doing it! I'm really doing it!" and enjoy what made me fall in love with triathlon in the first place:

THIS IS FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun to jump in the water and see the world from a completely different perspective!

Fun to cross that transition and dodge goose droppings!

Fun to speed through DC on streets that are CLOSED so I don't get squashed by a CAB! Woo hoo!

And FUN FUN FUN to cross that final mat, have people rush me to collect my chip and hand me a medal, or a pint glass, or a towel, all the while glowing with the thought of "HOLY CRAP I JUST DID IT!! And YAY I'M NOT MOVING ANYMORE!!!"

Yes, I have a goal, a stretch goal, and an "I won't feel that bad as long as I cross under X:XX" goal. But man... can you just imagine the taste of that banana at the finish? Or the pancakes? Or strutting around trying to catch a close up glimpse of Hunter Kemper while proudly displaying my wristband? Yahooo!!!! BRING IT!!!!

Sorry for the stream of consciousness there. It's my first Olympic!!!

Abby

PS: Shannon--I hope you are okay!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria