Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Rocketts Landing Triathlon
CREATED: 07/15/12 by conartist REPLIES: 4
conartist's ravatar conartist    JOINED: 1/31/12    POSTS: 54
Rocketts Landing Triathlon
POSTED: 7/15/12 9:31 PM

Anyone else racing? Gotta couple questions for peeps who've raced before.

Any suggestions on driving (time of day to drive down from DC)? I'm staying in Richmond Sat. night.

Any Course tips/tidbits (water sighting/typical temps/ hills/technicality etc.)???

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
RE: Rocketts Landing Triathlon
POSTED: 7/15/12 10:01 PM

http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=0F3D13F4-DF62-E556-68EF922F61FE6110&page=1

A few of us did it last year (it was the club championship). Been very similar conditions last couple years. Not doing it this year simply because of family. Hope it cools off! -Jason

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 7/16/12 2:27 PM

There's really no great time to head down there. I-95 south is pretty screwed up from DC to Fredericksburg at all hours. If you wait till about 730/800pm on Friday it will be an easier drive, counting on about 90 mins for travel. Believe me, I've made the drive that was more times than I'd like to count.

The weather leading up the race stayed in the hundreds for several days leading up. It cooled off into the high 90's by race day.

Swim - HOTT. Yes, two T's. The water was 92* last year, swimcap optional. Good course layout, the current didn't seem too bad, but the temperature made me ill. Exiting the water was awkward, having to go up a ladder onto the dock. I had to climb up the side of the dock because of congestion. The swim to T1 goes up a tall set of stairs. I have a picture tagged of me of FB with a horrible face as I got up the stairs.

Bike - Smooth and rolling, somewhat shaded, pretty good course, but I remember there were two SHARP hairpin turn out and backs and some sharp turns at the bottoms of hills - wasn't a fan of that. Otherwise, I though the course was fairly par. Could have been worse.

Run - Interesting, but way too much exposure and stairs. The heat nearly got the best of me. Cold washclothes/sponges on the course, but were nearly gone by the end. If you're leading the race you'll be fine, if you're one of the last through, it's going to suck. One of the aid stations was abandoned with half a bag of ice.

Finish - There was chocolate milk. Will it be there this year? Dunno. The PF Changs food afterwards was not at all appropriate (something non-carb wrapped in lettuce). I wanted carbs. Make sure you bring your own ice and post-race food. There was beer there, which made me a happier camper.

If it's anything like it has been the last couple weeks, please be careful with the heat. We've had enough clubbers to to the hospital this year already from heat-related injury.

Overall, Richmond Multisports put on a great race. My only complaint was Mother Nature, which the RD had no control over.

For me, wrong time of the year for racing in such a hot area. Just my two cents. Hope it helps. I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.

Best,
Trevor

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 7/16/12 3:21 PM

Don't forget that the beer truck wasn't open on time! The horror!

conartist's ravatar conartist    JOINED: 1/31/12    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 7/16/12 7:45 PM

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. All very good info. Hope the weather stays in the 80's! I'm debating whether to check in race morning and drive down late Sat. night (post traffic)..or to get there early on Saturday and just chill in Richmond all day. Anyone like the expo/pre-race swim/ride (if there is one?) Was it worth it or is check-in easy enough race morning?

Definitely sounds like a HOT adventure...not a PR course.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria