Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

I'M TORN....
CREATED: 12/13/09 by tdn9999 REPLIES: 12
tdn9999's ravatar tdn9999    JOINED: 7/16/09    POSTS: 49
I'M TORN....
POSTED: 12/13/09 2:25 PM

I have researched throughout the web for comparisions b/t the Cervelo P3 & the Trek Equinox 9.5. I've spent hours at 2 bike shops who have taken measurement but have yet to get any miles on the bikes. Being new to this sport and having rode this season on a road bike I'm not too sure I will notice too much of a difference from trial run on either bike. At the 1st shop, they stated the Cervelo would not be good for my measurements. The 2nd shop said with today's bikes, they can be tuned & dialed in to fit practically anyone. Ultimately I know they are both trying to sell a product but want to save time with the back & forth to the shops as well as all the haggling. Any truth to either shop's statements? They are both about the same price but I would hate to regret my purchase.

Any help to this newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: I'M TORN....
POSTED: 12/13/09 6:00 PM

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ride the horse before you buy it. Why can't you ride any of the bikes? Make the shops build you the bike or shop somewhere else. Where are you shopping that they won't build you a bike to test? It's xmas. The shops should be ready to sell.

You will notice a big difference between the road- and tri-bike fit. But, you should attempt to get comfortable with the TT/tri-bike fit before dismissing that you will not notice much of a difference between either TT bike. What size are the cranks? Are the aero bars long/short or straight/curved? Is it easy to shift, brake, turn? Do at least 3 rides on the bike that you plan to buy. 1) 20 min. spin; 2) hill ride ~40 minutes; 3) flat ride in aero. You should be able to tell a difference in comfort, speed, handling, braking between the 2 bikes if you do a couple rides and tune into the feel. There are lots of articles on the internet (slowtwitch, bicycling mag, sheldon brown, etc.) that discuss what to look for when buying a bike. Go forth and google.

Lisa
http://www.examiner.com/x-19867-DC-Sports-Travel-Examiner?showbio

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 12/14/09 12:18 AM

here is the deal not every bike will fit everyone universally so the shops are both right in a way. check out the slowtwitch site for more on this.

some bikes are just not made to fit certain people its just that way. whether a bike fits you are not, is something you leave to a good bike fitter. that is really the most important thing. find a bike fitter that you trust first.

also at this price point and such these are fungible goods really as far as quality goes. both are top brands both are equally well made.

also its understandable that shops may not have a bike built up for you. afteral if you get a custom built bike you don't have that built up for a test ride first, you just buy it and you trust the builder to build it for you.

in this case, smaller shops may not have the resources to build up a bike fo ryou to test ride if they dont' have the extra bikes in stock. so its not really uncommon for a place to not have a test bike in stock, just goto a store that does, sorta like trying stuff on in a store then buying it online from an online distributor.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1294
POSTED: 12/14/09 7:16 AM

Why would you even consider laying down good money for a P3 or the Trek Equinox 9.5 without first test driving them ? The shop may say that either bikes is the "perfect" bike for you geometry-wise but the test drive may cause you to think otherwise. You are going to be riding the bike for a lot of miles. It's important that not only the bike fit you well geometry-wise but that you feel comfortable riding them. It's like playing an instrument, you may not be able to tell or describe what the perfect note sounds like but you'll know it when you hear it.

For what it's worth, when I purchased my tri bike I rode a lot of other tri bikes. Some of which were a lot more expensive than mine, some were not, and some were in the same price range. I could feel the difference in the ride between the bikes. There may be some truths in what the bike shops are telling you but you need your seat in the saddle to determine what is right. If the bikes have different components, you will notice the difference (i.e., shifting, aero bar reach, etc). Same price doesn't necessarily mean that they will have the same components. One may have a more upgraded version of the other.

Tri bikes are different beasts than road bikes ... even when you sit up in the standard road position on the tri bike, it will feel a lot different than sitting up on a road bike. Even if the shops that you are looking at are giving you the best deal, go to another shop to test drive if need be.

Tuan

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 12/14/09 9:04 AM

Yes... Ride the bike. A lot. If you are shopping at one of our partner shops they should all let you take the bike out as many times as you need to decide. All without any obligation to buy.

As many have learned, TT bikes can be much more squirrely and difficult to handle than a road bike. It pays to spend some time on it and figure out which one you find most easy to handle.

POSTED: 12/14/09 9:20 AM

just get a bmc time machine with super record and be done with it.

lol

good luck.

POSTED: 1/06/10 1:23 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to get the Trek but am interested in your opinions on the difference b/w handlebars. Do any of you recommend aero bars such as Bontrage Race XXX Lite Carbon Aerobar vs. standard bars? How has your experience been or do you recommend another brand? Is there a noticable difference/performance or is it purely cosmetic? If its a weight issue then I can lay off the twinkie and save the $.

Thanks for the advice.

POSTED: 1/06/10 1:45 PM

get the carbon bars if you can afford them. I have ridden both - but get the HED Carbon aero handlebars. They are better than Bontrager. Lighter and less vibration. They're on my wish list after new wheels.

POSTED: 1/06/10 2:00 PM

What's your reasoning wanting for switching out stock aero bars that come with the bike vs laying down extra money for a new set ? Most triathletes (i.e., those who aren't looking to podium or qualify for something) only switch out parts on brand new bikes for comfort (i.e., saddle, aero bars) or practical (i.e., compact cassettes for hilly rides) reasons.

The effects of the weight difference between the two aero bars as it relates to your performance, even if you are trying to win Kona, is insignificant. I'd say change the aero bars if one is a lot more comfortable for you to use than the other. It's your bike and your money, you should try them out and decide for yourself. If 99 out of 100 people tell you to get stick with the stock aero bars but you find the other one to be more comfortable to use and is worth it to you then it really doesn't matter what the other 99 people think. YOUR level of comfort in using the product triumps all opinions.

The other thing is that aero bars, whether for comfort or for the sexiness quality, is a personal choice. What is comfortable/sexy to one person isn't to the another. Since you are already laying down good money for the Trek, try asking the bike store to swap out the aero bars and let you give them both a spin. If you find that there is a huge difference between the two then pick the one that you like the most. Some people like their aero bars longer than others. Some like the S-curve while others like the straight aero bars. Only you should decide that. Don't depend on others for that answer because the result may be a very uncomfortable ride or an injury.

It's the same thing when people ask the question "should I switch out my saddle?" The answer is the same ... why ? What's wrong with the one that you have now ? Or "what saddle should I buy?" The answer is the same. Which saddle is most comfortable to YOU. One may be great for me but will give you a third testicle if you try to sit on it.

Tuan

POSTED: 1/06/10 2:16 PM

honestly a lot of the "carbon everything" is motivated by aesthetics and bling factor.

if you have the money to afford all carbon and top shelf goods, by all means get it, afterall our economy needs people spending more money on consumer goods.

however, don't think that getting the most expensive things gives you the best qualities you want. you may very well find that the cheaper product may be perfect where the very expensive product is not.

POSTED: 1/06/10 2:18 PM

One may be great for me but will give you a third testicle if you try to sit on it. - Tuan

I think you just gave tdn9999 what he really wants.

POSTED: 1/06/10 2:24 PM

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. I was born that way :)

Tuan

POSTED: 1/06/10 2:29 PM

Thanks for the advice. Putting it in testicular format did the trick

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria