Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

12 Year Olds Stole My Lunch Box
CREATED: 09/18/12 by conartist REPLIES: 3
conartist's ravatar conartist    JOINED: 1/31/12    POSTS: 54
12 Year Olds Stole My Lunch Box
POSTED: 9/18/12 1:09 PM

That sums up my race report for the 3k swimforthepotomac on Sunday. It was humbling. They didn't wear wetsuits. I did. Those girls are taking names and crushing dreams. I tried to draft off 'em, but they'd counter with a ferocious zig zag to fend me off.

When I exited the dock to size up my competition, exhausted from the trek, I eavesdropped while they were practicing dives. They said they should've done the 5k. 3k felt like a warm up. Now I know why I train on treadmills. Can't no one pass me there.

shannontri's ravatar shannontri    JOINED: 6/28/12    POSTS: 20
RE: 12 Year Olds Stole My Lunch Box
POSTED: 9/19/12 10:36 AM

Ha - that was about my experience too. I thought I had the lead on those high school girls in the 5k, when one sling-shot around me coming off the second-to-last buoy and I just could not match her acceleration.

At least I can comfort myself that once outta the water and onto a bike, there'd be some flip-flopping of the dreamcrushing roles.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1769
POSTED: 9/20/12 9:14 AM

Yes, it was pretty funny to see busloads of high schoolers show up for the swim meet. They were loud, enthusiastic, and real fast. (One the WaveOne coaches on hand, btw, trained Olympic medalist Katie LaDeckie in the area when she was a young teen.) Fast swimmers tend to be young.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1059
POSTED: 9/20/12 10:47 AM

A similar situation happened to me last month at a one mile ocean swim in New Jersey. I got out past the first buoy and caught a huge current. Near the last buoy I looked up and hardly saw anyone ahead of me. As I finished I thought I was in the top twenty. I ended up being 142nd out of 300. It was all of those kids in the 15-19 age group ahead of me. I think I was more than eight minutes behind the winner.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria