Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

OWS Sandy Point - 5/16/10
CREATED: 05/11/10 by justinc REPLIES: 3
justinc    JOINED: 5/11/10    POSTS: 1
OWS Sandy Point - 5/16/10
POSTED: 5/11/10 8:22 PM

My buddy and I are newbies to triathlons and we are planning on going to Sandy Point this weekend to do a training OWS swim and then a run. We are strong swimmers, but only tested in a lap pool. I read through the forums but I wanted to double check with the pros:

I've seen some organized OWS @ Sandy Point. While we are newbies, we just want to swim. It looks like we can just drive over and hop in the water after paying the daily fee. Is that correct, can we avoid the organized folks?

The water temp looks to be mid to low 60s. We don't have wet suits. Are we nuts?

Where is the best routes to swim once we get to Sandy Point? Best trails to Run? Best places to bike (if we come back with our bikes next time?)

Thanks!

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 92
RE: OWS Sandy Point - 5/16/10
POSTED: 5/11/10 9:23 PM

The water temp looks to be mid to low 60s. We don't have wet suits. Are we nuts?

Yes, your nuts. I've never tried to swim in low 60's, but I've surfed in upper 60's, and without a rash guard it was too cold. But you never know if it's too cold for you until you try. I hate being cold, and I'd not even get in the water in low 60's without a wetsuit.

But I've seen people out on the water in the upper 60's without a suit, so to each their own. Me, I prefer warmth.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 5/11/10 10:37 PM

Just Inc., man you must be a young buck. Back in my early years of triathlons, I swam at Columbia in 62 degree water. It wasn't until a mile into the run that I could feel my feet. In college I spent two summer lifeguarding in Rehoboth and the one thing I detested was swimming in cold water (and I am talking below 65). I've already been out at Sandy Point swimming wth a full length wetsuit and my feet and hands were cold after 30-40 minutes.

More power to you if you are able to get in a good swim. There really aren't any trails around the park, mainly roads to ride/run on.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1736
POSTED: 5/12/10 9:28 AM

Who needs a wetsuit, even in Antarctica?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0kogs4KEso

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria