Police urge caution after woman attacked on trail
CREATED: 07/17/09 by xena REPLIES: 1
xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 7/17/09 2:12 PM

Please be careful.

July 16, 2009 - 3:01pm

VIENNA, Va. - Vienna Police are urging joggers to use caution after a woman was assaulted in broad daylight on the Washington and Old Dominion Park Trail.
The assault occurred around 2 p.m. Wednesday as the 25-year-old woman was jogging near Ayhrill Avenue and the bridge to Northside Park.

Police say a man riding a brown or tan "cruiser" style bicycle stopped near the woman and exposed his genitals and began shouting.

As the woman tried to run past the man, he grabbed her and threw her to the ground. Police say he positioned himself on top of her and continued exposing himself and shouting.

The woman was able to break free from the man and called police. The man fled on his bicycle.

The suspect is described as a 35 to 45-year-old white man who was tan and clean shaven. Police say he was wearing a black swimsuit and no shirt. He had a black hat with the brim flipped up and white sneakers.

Anyone with information is asked to call Det. Scott Leroux at 703-255-6332.

Police are encouraging women to jog in pairs and carry a cell phone.

(Copyright 2009 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)

VIENNA, Va. - Vienna Police are urging joggers to use caution after a woman was assaulted in broad daylight on the Washington and Old Dominion Park Trail.
The assault occurred around 2 p.m. Wednesday as the 25-year-old woman was jogging near Ayhrill Avenue and the bridge to Northside Park.

Police say a man riding a brown or tan "cruiser" style bicycle stopped near the woman and exposed his genitals and began shouting.

As the woman tried to run past the man, he grabbed her and threw her to the ground. Police say he positioned himself on top of her and continued exposing himself and shouting.

The woman was able to break free from the man and called police. The man fled on his bicycle.

The suspect is described as a 35 to 45-year-old white man who was tan and clean shaven. Police say he was wearing a black swimsuit and no shirt. He had a black hat with the brim flipped up and white sneakers.

Anyone with information is asked to call Det. Scott Leroux at 703-255-6332.

Police are encouraging women to jog in pairs and carry a cell phone.

(Copyright 2009 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)

http://wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=1719257

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
RE: Police urge caution after woman attacked on trail
POSTED: 7/19/09 7:13 AM

I have been running for a long time now, but only recently, have a new addition to the GPS watch, water belt and iPod....a small canister of pepper spray.

It's legal in Virginia, (though frankly, let them arrest me for using it if attacked in DC), and is something I wouldn't leave the house without - especially in light of the above story.

I also carry it on bike rides - where I ride on the eastern shore, there is often a random, unchained pit bull, and I'm more afraid of running him over than being bit...the spray works well enough to teach them not to chase me next time.

If you're a woman and you run/bike alone, you should consider this. You will never be strong enough to overpower an attacker - this won't kill them, but it will definitely stop them long enough for you to get away. This young lady was lucky.

Paula

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria