Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike Trainer Purchase
CREATED: 02/01/10 by jenniferyager REPLIES: 12
jenniferyager    JOINED: 6/26/09    POSTS: 18
Bike Trainer Purchase
POSTED: 2/01/10 10:32 AM

I want to buy a bike trainer to work out in my apartment. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

appleseed's ravatar appleseed    JOINED: 11/5/09    POSTS: 20
RE: Bike Trainer Purchase
POSTED: 2/01/10 10:49 AM

I just tried out a CycleOps Fluid Trainer and was really happy with it. I'm probably going to buy one this week. Here are the details. Oh and you'll probably want the riser block to stabilize the front wheel.

CycleOps Tempo Fluid Trainer:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1028771_-1_1500502_20000_1500507

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1028769_-1_400037_400006_400135

http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Stackable-Climbing-Bicycle-Trainers/dp/B000BT8VPQ/ref=acc_glance_sg_ai_-2_t_1

http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Fluid-Indoor-Bicycle-Trainer/dp/B000BT7HWY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1265038866&sr=8-1-fkmr1

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 946
POSTED: 2/01/10 11:00 AM

You can search "trainer" or "bike trainer" in the forum search window up above and you'll come up with a lot of threads discussing the various types of trainers and the benefits and downsides of each.

When I get a chance, I'll edit this with some links directly to those threads, but searching will get you there faster. :)

Bryan
2010 NTP Co-Leader

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 203
POSTED: 2/01/10 12:34 PM

Bryan is going to do his thing but he will agree with me that the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is an awesome trainer. I had a different one before that for a year... the Performance Century Travel Trac fluid trainer. It was good when I was starting out with my training last year but it has its limits for hill/interval work.

And most importantly, it does not feel like the road. The Kurt Kinetic however, has a distinct road feel and makes real workouts difficult... which is the desired effect! It's on the expensive side ($300 depending where you buy), but if you want a trainer that gives a road-like workout and lasts a long time, I recommend the Kurt.

BDub    JOINED: 11/17/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 2/01/10 2:58 PM

I second the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. I was able to buy mine at wholesale price by using eBay. Love it! Don't forget to get the riser ring (though you could get away with using a phone book) - don't worry about the pad, you can use an old towel or something.

timkelley    JOINED: 1/4/10    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 2/01/10 3:17 PM

I have a CycleOps SuperMagneto Pro which is quiter than many fluid trainers I've tried and has a great design so you can slip your bike in and out easily.

It has a variable power curve so you can adjust the resistance easily: http://www.saris.com/p-357-supermagneto-pro.aspx

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 454
POSTED: 2/01/10 6:51 PM

I bought the CycleOps Mag trainer from REI a few years ago. It was a lot cheaper than the fluid ones, although it is noisier. Just a matter of how much you want to spend on one. And I used an old yoga mat under the bike, which works fine.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/01/10 7:51 PM

another vote for teh kurt kinetic road machine, great trainer, never leaks unless you drop the thing on the pavement moving it from your car. quietest fluid trainer you can get for the price.

if you want to buy a mat to use your bike and trainer on i have one in the for sale section, like new, heavy to deaden sound in case you are in an apartment.

dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 2/01/10 10:30 PM

If you want to save some dough you can buy a thicker, semipermeable or waterproof yoga mat and use it as a trainer mat to catch sweat and cancel some of the noise. I got a yoga mat at Marshall's for $10 - $15 and it works well for me. I've seen trainer mats go for $40 - $80. If you want gym quality, Justin's is still for sale in the For Sale forum for $45, I think.

silvercannonca    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 41
POSTED: 2/01/10 11:04 PM

I have the Cycle Ops Fluid Trainer. Highly recommend it.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 2/01/10 11:33 PM

Bought the Kinetic at REI on sale...very nice trainer! I bought a riser block at my local bike store. Only disappointment, the Spinervals CD that came with it has no sound...I'll get another one as I heard they are good.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/02/10 10:14 AM

wait a minute.

a spinervals cd with no sound is not a bad thing that is a GOOD THING!!!.

have you ever heard a spinervals dvd with their music in the background? it makes the musak in the elevators and adult movies (not that i would know) sound like top 40 hits.

i think you actually got the jackpot when you got the spinervals dvd with no sound on it. lol

spinervals even accepts this in a way, since in their new dvds you can choose to do the workout in the main menu with or without their music playing.

jenniferyager    JOINED: 6/26/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 2/02/10 12:15 PM

Thanks Everyone! My Dad also recommended the Kurt Kinetic Fluid trainer, so I was happy to see so many people in agreement. I bought it yesterday from Conte's in Bethesda. They gave me a great deal and even helped me set it up. Thanks Contes!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria